Chapter 43: Don't Choose Me

"As much as I enjoy you holding onto me so tight, I think we need to find that girl." Kai's voice makes me open an eye reluctantly, my arms around him and one cheek still pressed against his back.

I look around myself disoriented only to realize Kai has parked his motorcycle in front of the "club" Lena is at right now.

We are at a weird, dimly lit street, in front of a three-story house that looks like it's haunted more than like it's a club. Everything around the place looks dead - the trees, the flowers, and even the air.

If it weren't for the red neon sign on top of it, reading "After Dark", I'd think I've stepped foot in Hill House.

I feel Kai tilting his head sideways and giving me a smirk, as my eyes widen in realization. I pull back in a millisecond and push him away with so much force he almost rolls off of the motorcycle.

Jumping off, I shake my feet to gain control over my limbs and not fall on my face.

"I was scared during the ride," I tell him, which is not completely a lie. It was really my first time on it, so I WAS indeed terrified.

"I didn't say anything," he says, the corner of his mouth turning up into another smirk.

I don't answer, just glare at him before turning around and storming off inside the haunted house... uh, sorry, club.

What the hell is this place anyway? I've never been to this part of Chicago before and I feel like Lena shouldn't have come here too, especially when she's still a highschooler. Not because it's (supposed to be) a club, but because even from the outside it gives me the creeps.

As I step inside, a guy that would look like a mountain from afar, asks to see my ID.

"Do I look that young?" I ask him before showing it to him.

"Can't tell by the looks these days." He shrugs, as Kai reaches us and hovers next to me.

The security guy doesn't ask Kai for his ID, and maybe it's because of the flat face expression on his face.

"Have you seen this girl tonight?" I ask the guy, showing him the photo of Lena, that Heather has sent me along with the address, and the guy shakes his head.

"I'm not sure, maybe." The mountain guy says, making me want to growl in response.

Is she still here? I can't waste more time, I need to find her as soon as possible.

I'm about to move farther inside the club and search for her when I feel Kai hold a hundred up in front of the guy's face.

I shoot him a shocked "What the hell, Kai?" glance, but he ignores me, his cold eyes on the guy.

"Are you sure now?"  He asks the security guy and I'm about to apologize for his behavior, when the guy reaches for the money, trying to snatch it away.

I hold back a gasp of surprise, when Kai holds the money tighter, giving him another passive glace.

"Information first."

The guy starts to sing like he's a member of the local church choir.

"She's here, mate. You'll find her in room 4, the second floor."

"What?" I shrink, eyes wide. "Room 4? Is this a freaking hotel?"

Without waiting for his answer, or Kai to catch up with me, I run to the stairs through the dancing and smoking bodies.

The music is not so loud here, just chill, and people are dancing to it as if they are in a trance. The whole place looks like a run-down house, but there is also a bar in one corner full of drinks.