Chapter 3: Midnight Memories N1 or "When I Look at You..."

Just here to thank you again for giving "Midnight Memories" a chance. Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Hope Kailena will make your day better! The best is yet to come!

***

Chapter 3: Midnight Memories N1 or "When I Look at You..."

The first time I hear the sound of the knocking on my door, when listening to The 1975 and sticking new facts on "My Wall", I ignore it, thinking it's in my head. Because really, no one would knock on my door past midnight.

Anyway, did you know that "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" was composed by Mozart when he was just five years old? FIVE! Or that it is illegal to sing off-key in North Carolina? If Kai lived there, he'd be the biggest criminal. Not that I'm one to talk.

The second time I hear the knocks though, I get suspicious and go to check it.

I am surprised when I see who it is from the peephole. Why is Kai here? And why am I both excited and worried, because of the picture of him in front of my door, his head lowered to the ground?

"I know you are up," Kai says from the other side of the door, as he keeps knocking.

I am in an oversized T-shirt without a bra underneath and short shorts, barefoot, and my hair in a messy bun, and the only thought of me facing him like this both scares and embarrasses the hell out of me.

I want to keep shutting him out, making him think I am sleeping or not at home, but the problem is that "Chocolate" by The 1975 keeps playing in the background, and let me tell you, it's quite loud.

Suddenly there is another voice in the hallway, making me press my ear against the door, to listen closely.

"... late. Screaming in the middle of the night? What do you think you are doing, Kai? I am all about romanticism and all, but your shouting won't let me sleep and I do need it right now because of the shitty day I had." I hear a man's deep voice say.

"I am sorry James, I am incredibly sorry. But our new neighbor here won't open up, and I think something might have happened." Kai's voice makes my eyes widen in disbelief. What are you doing, Kai?

"She has just moved in, when did you even have time to meet her?" The man asks, making me look through the peephole.

"I don't know. She kept kind of chasing me," he says the last sentence louder than before, probably making sure I hear it.

I know what game he's playing. He's challenging me to open the door and I am millimeters away from giving in, even though I know that's exactly what he wants.

"If she keeps this up, we'll be dating by the end of the month." He adds.

This little bastard.

"Enough," I say, throwing the door open and my voice even. "Enough," Kai smirks at me with a winner's pride. It takes a lot of effort, not to pay attention to how handsome he is right now. Instead, I turn to face the neighbor and explain everything, when he cuts me off.

"Don't scare the guy like that again," He says, completely oblivious about the real deal. "The stress we, men, have on a daily basis because of you, women, is scary." I'm sure my eyes have burst out of their sockets by now. "Heartbreakers." He adds dramatically.

"What? No. We are not..." I start to say shaking my hands in front of me, but he stops me by waving his hand in the air dismissively, before getting inside his apartment, muttering something about today's generation.

As soon as his door is closed, I growl irritated, staring at Kai in complete annoyance.

"What do you want?" I ask as he keeps looking at me, not moving. When after a second, he doesn't answer, I wave my hand in front of his face consciously. Is there something on my face, I start to worry.