chapter 45: like an aurora

Oh, boi... Not only is this chapter written from Kai's POV, but we also have a new teaser poster asdfghjkl! It's soooo pretty, I'm in love with it! 💜 Do you guys like it? Isn't it just typical for our Kailena?

 Not only is this chapter written from Kai's POV, but we also have a new teaser poster asdfghjkl! It's soooo pretty, I'm in love with it! 💜 Do you guys like it? Isn't it just typical for our Kailena?

PS You can follow me on Pinterest (melphorias), if you wanna see my "Midnight Memories" visual collection. I'm addicted to Pinterest and if I had a dollar for every time I checked that app, I'd be Elon Musk, lmao.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Kai's thoughts, he's been quite loud in my head recently, demanding I give him more "screen time" and an opportunity to tell his side of the story.

Alright, Kai, it's showtime! Surprise us!

~+-=~

chapter 45: like an aurora

flashback | Kai's POV

A former British chess champion Bill Hartston once said "Chess doesn't drive people mad, it keeps mad people sane."

I remember reading this in a newspaper article about another terrific chess player Bobby Fischer when I was thirteen. Now, I don't remember what the main point of the article was, but I remember that's when I decided to start playing it.

I have always been a jumpy, freaky kid, who found it hard to keep his ass glued to a chair for more than 5 minutes, but I swear I forced myself to sit down and actually learn the game.

It wasn't because I was inspired to become the next great shot in the chess world, or because I - found the game super interesting. By then I had already found art, and I had already developed another fascination with Maths, so I didn't really need another addition to the pack.

The reason why I decided to play chess was that I had fucking believed that old man just like the stupid kid that I was.

I was hoping that by playing chess I could actually kill the voices inside my head, stop the nightmares, and finally... breathe.

But turns out, the dude wasn't right at all. Not in my case, at least.

The only thing chess did for me was to teach me strategic thinking, well, and helping me kill some time until I could go out with Matt to paint.

So the hobby has stuck. Playing chess with my own self has become one of the things I'd sometimes do whenever I had no sleep and a lot on my mind.

And tonight I've barely moved a piece. I'm leaning back in the leather sofa in my room, freshly showered after my night run, wearing just a pair of boxers, while staring at the white queen on the board and thinking about my queen.

The way I see it, my whole fucking world has started to revolve around one single woman, Selena Elizabeth Young.

Jesus, ever her name sounds like music to my ears. It's official, I've become a cheesy wuss.