36

<3rd POV> 

Not soon after Harry's birthday, the letters from Hogwarts arrived. The letters made their presence known by two owls flying into the dining room during breakfast with the letters in their talons, falling into their respective receiver. Harry and Draco eagerly took their letters from the owls' grips, before opening them. 

For a few minutes there was silence as they all read their letters. 

SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE: The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda GoshawkBreak with a Banshee by Gilderoy LockhartGadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy LockhartHolidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart43 Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy LockhartVoyages with Vampires by Gilderoy LockhartWanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy LockhartYear with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Tom, who was sitting right next to Harry peeked at the letter before snatching the letter from Harry's grip, ignoring Harry's cries of protest. 

"The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan of Lockhart... Unbelievable. The guy is a complete idiot, who would want to hire this pathetic excuse of a man?" Tom muttered under his breath. 

Most of the occupants had to stifle their laughters. 

"So when are we going to Diagon Alley?" Draco asked, folding his letter neatly and placing it at his pocket.

"Maybe today." Lucius replied, "I heard that Maria Zabini is coming to Diagon today too." 

"That would be wonderful... Maybe the two of us can do some shopping together, it's such a pity I live with all boys... except for little Rosaline of course... I'm sure I can convince her to buy some clothes..." Narcissa trailed off, lost in her thoughts.

Harry and Draco shared each other horrified yet at the same time terrified looks. 

"I on the other hand will not be going, as I have potions to brew." Severus stated. Everyone else quickly agreed.

~

"I have some business to do at Burgin and Burkes. Why don't Draco and Harry go with me there while the rest of you go to Gringotts to get out some money?" Lucius suggested as soon as the doorway to Diagon Alley. 

"Agreed. See you Lucy!" Sirius called out before dragging Remus and Tom into the crowd. Narcissa was carrying Rosalie and was following her cousin. 

"Did he just - Never mind." Lucius sighed before turning his attention to the small alleyway leading to Knockturn Alley. 

"Now be careful the two of you. Don't touch anything." 

And with that the three made their way carefully to Knockturn Alley, or more specifically, Burgin and Burkes. 

As they entered the dingy little shop, Draco was immediately drawn to a necklace on display.

"Draco, don't touch that." Lucius snapped at Draco who was reaching out to the necklace. Just as soon as Lucius finished talking, Draco seemed to snap out of whatever trance he was in. 

A stooping man had appeared behind the counter, smoothing his greasy hair back from his face.

"Mr. Malfoy, what a pleasure to see you again," said Mr. Borgin in a voice as oily as his hair. "Delighted - and young Master Malfoy and young Master Black, too - charmed. How may I be of assistance? I must show you, just in today, and very reasonably priced--" 

"I'm not buying today, Mr. Borgin, but selling," said Lucius.  

"Selling?" The smile faded slightly from Mr. Borgin's face.