Chapter Twenty Eight

Cora coughed as she hoisted herself up.

Her head was in burning pain and red spots kept dripping infront of her vision. She was bleeding.

Gasping, she began to crawl and oddly twisted her body to fit through the window of the overturned Jeep.

Cora mildly shook her head, sincerely she knew it was over for her when she closed her eyes then hit the brake pedal. She only felt the vehicle jerking up then nothing, it was a miracle that she had survived .

She blinked.

" Ah ! " She released a low moan.

A small twig was sticking into her left thigh . Cora gritted her teeth and with trembling hands she pulled it out. She struggled up and staggered once she was on her weak feet.

Cora looked around.

She could see dusk was setting in which made the hopeless situation around her worse. Endless miles of tall trees surrounded her , she was in the middle of nowhere. She looked to her side and spotted the two Jeeps that had tried to ram into her side in dying flames.

How ? She had no clue.

She looked at the mangled vehicle she had crawled from and her eyes widened in shock.

I need to move. She thought and staggered again.

A wave of dizziness hit her and her vision blurred.

She needed help. The bleeding was not mild.

" Halloo ! " She crooked.

Her voice was a mere whisper in the vast forest.

Cora decided to keep quiet though she needed help, she did not need any of Mr. Yong's men hearing her desperate cries. She would rather die than go back to that sick man.

She whimpered in pain, forcing her two feet to move forward.

One step, two steps, three steps... Thud !

She groaned in despair, her hands helpless on the ground.

Cora weakly hoisted herself up again.

One step, two steps, three steps, four steps... Thud !

Cora cried out, dizzying spots dancing in her vision.

" I can do this , " she whispered and pushed herself on her feet again.

She staggered forward.

Where she was headed to, she did not know, all she knew was that she had to get away from the thick parts of the forest. How dangerous the valley was, that too she did not know.

A very hopeless situation.

Cora looked up and stared at the darkening sky.

She smiled bitterly on her third fall and laughed as she crawled on the dusty ground. Cora hoped Jonathan was safe and she wished she could see him. She wished she could still be in his house and cuddle up in the warm sheets on the bed. She missed his strong cologne , a scent of safety and his strong arms that at times carried her. She knew she had developed feelings for the man though she doubted he felt anything towards her.

Cora sighed in defeat, she was too weak and tired. She lay stiffly on the ground. She allowed her mind to wander and they focused on a pair of mismatched daring eyes: a perfectly built man in a blue suit and a golden walking cane.

To think I was to kill him , she smiled sadly at the thought and giggled.

She could hear his raspy voice , imagining him yelling at her not to give up , to move forward and to press on. Cora shook her head and let her eyes slide closed, shutting out the blinding pain in her head.

***********

It was ridiculous, really .

He stood a top a cave, an energy drink in hand and a pair of binoculars over his eyes as he watched the scene unfold on the cliff the entire afternoon.

His efforts were wasted because he broke out for purely nothing. Of course, he knew Mr. Yong had planned an attack on Jonathan but not soon . That was impromptu .

He scratched his long braided goatee in disbelief and disappointment. Escaping the dungeons was not easy and when he finally did, he had one mission , to alert the annoying Blue man of Mr. Yong's attack but that is when things went haywire. Anyone would think he was to blame for he should have alerted them earlier but that was not exactly so. They had short changed him twice and based on his last act of revenge, he was not sure they would take him seriously.

Mr. Fazul sighed in pity for Cora.

Of course he had seen it all. He had tensed when he saw a curly haired woman struggling with a man then pushed him out of the Jeep and he inwardly applauded but it was short-lived. The worn out Jeep was soon surrounded by two powerful ones that kept trying to ram into it no doubt to beat it further down so that they may capture her. He could tell she was at the last limit and he could see her gritting her teeth in frustration.

Then she suddenly did the dreadful, she hit the pedal , the brake pedal and Mr. Fazul watched , his mouth ajar while the Jeep jerked up , overturning in the air and disappearing into the valley below it . The two Jeeps on her either side collided , rammed into each other before bursting in flames, the impact sending them tumbling in the valley below.

He knew he was supposed to leave, go back. It was a grisly sight and any human being would be certain that there were no survivors but he held on, slowly walking to see for himself if that was truly the end of Cora .

So he walked in the direction of the smoke and immediately spotted the mangled mess of a Jeep a few meters from the burnt mess.

He rubbed his palms together and debated within himself as he stared at her helpless body on the ground.

Realistically, she was supposed to be dead and even if she wasn't , Mr. Fazul was supposed to be the least person to lend a hand. The men had mistreated him, short changed him then threw him into the dungeons for a simple act of vengeance . They never honoured their side of the deal.

But...

How he hated that voice, he glared. He glared because despite all that had transpired , the helpless bundle on the forest floor before him knew nothing about their deal.

He turned away.

She's in pain...

" Shut up ! " He grumbled and stomped his boot clad feet on the hard ground as he left.

She might die...

" She should've been so anyway ! " He retorted.

She needs you, she could've been you...

" Ugh ! Stay away ! " He yelled in frustration, his hands raised as if to fend someone off.

If you save her, they may reconsider.

At that he paused, scratched his long braided goatee.

" Ah ! Mr. Fazul the things you do for love, " he said sarcastically and he turned back to take a look at her.

He shook his head in wonder.

The woman was in one piece despite the mangled mess of a vehicle. She lay motionless on the ground, he crouched beside her to assess her injuries.

Her side was punctured, her left thigh bloody, her face bruised but her head is what sent the alarm going off in his head. His gloves hands carried her small frame and he ran to his car.

He panicked.

He carefully put her in .

" Listen, if you have to die , please do so after telling your beloved Blue that I don't appreciate being conned ! " He said angrily while driving away at full speed.

Cora's lips quivered in response.