Chapter three.

Jonathan yawned and dragged himself from the comfortable bed. He grabbed the walking cane adjacent to his bed and slightly limped into the luxurious bathroom, not bothering to draw open the heavy brown curtains of his dark bedroom. Why would he ? The darkness comforted him.

He walked inside the bathroom and paused in front of the mirror. Jonathan cocked his head to the side as he glared at his reflection. For the past two years,he always woke up then looked at his reflection before beginning his days. It was silly, really, that he somehow expected a miracle to happen and then his scars to suddenly disappear , but he did it anyway and was always unimpressed.

Sighing heavily in usual disappointment, he undressed then  hobbled into the bathtub and immersed himself into the warm bubbly water. His veiny fingers slowly travelled from his ugly scars on his left cheek to his neck and lingered there. A vague reflection of himself stared back at him from the shiny dark tile in front of him , and he assessed his mismatched eyes. The right, its normal bright blue with sharp vision but the left, gray with failing vision.

It was precisely two years and six months since the accident that took a deep toll in his life happened. It changed him. Whether positively or negatively , Jonathan could not tell. Jonathan had shut himself out after the accident from everyone he knew and indulged fully in work. He was a computer wizard and he sorely concentrated on it that he grew brains to develop technical  computer projects that attracted a lot of monetary deals. He then wisely invested his profits, securing properties and finally, he was a tycoon.

Filthy rich , as many people would say.

He even ended up bypassing his half - brother in terms of net worth and he thought that would bring him satisfaction. He was wrong. Jonathan was far from being satisfied. His half - brother was a settled man : a loving wife and a bouncing baby boy at his side. That was something Jonathan was sure he would never have.

With only three years left to hit forty, he had no companion to enjoy his wealth with. To anyone , it would seem a minor issue but to him , many factors made it major issue. He knew that based on his appearance, no woman would willingly accept him and he sure did not want a woman who would do so because of his money.

So? Do a facial surgery then !

That was an enticing idea, but with the kind of plight that befell him, it was no viable solution.

He struggled to leave the tub , allowing the disheartening thoughts to linger at the back of his mind. Jonathan dried himself and tied a robe around his body; he walked back into his room just as his stomach began to rumble expecting to find breakfast served on the table in his room as usual but what he saw,  made his jaw drop open.

His maid comfortably sat on the bed,  not in her uniform but in an extremely short dress that her lengthy legs were full on display. Jonathan's gaze wandered to her face trying to figure out what she was up to but the brunette was so engrossed in picking at her nails, she did not notice him.

" Maid? " He rasped.

Jonathan never knew her name.

Her head snapped up and the seductive sparkle in her eyes diminished to terror. Her lips quivered and she slowly stood up, feet shaky.

" Oh my goodness! " She said, " She was right ! You are a beast ! "

And she bolted from the room.

Jonathan sighed and ran a hand over his face. That was the fifth person to see his scars and of course the reaction was surprisingly pleasant. He was hurt but not shocked . They either expressed fear or pity and he preferred the fear.

Grabbing one of his many  black shiny  masks, he proceeded to the kitchen to make himself breakfast, he would deal with the girl later.

" Boss ? "

He spun around and found Lan casually leaning on the door frame.

" She quit, "

" Good riddance, " Jonathan muttered as he whipped eggs.

" You need help ? "

" Look for replacement... immediately, "

" Sure thing,  Boss, "

" Lan ? " He called out to his bodyguard.

"Yeah ? "

" No sluts this...time round, "