Chapter eight.

Cora could still hear their cheers and jeers at the ongoing game even as she shut herself in her room. Cora ran into the adjoining bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror just as fresh tears welled up in her eyes. She shook her head and slid on the shiny tiled floor , crying softly.

She did not have any clean loose dress left that morning so she woke up quite early to make time to be able to do her laundry. Cora hastily prepared Mr. Jonathan's breakfast, did some mopping then laundry. She was happy it was a day she would not be forced into wearing her uncomfortable uniform so she settled for the only clean but comfortable clothes she had: a faded t-shirt and grey tights. She thought she would be long done with baking cakes , cookies , pies then setting the table by the time Jonathan's guests arrived so she was not worried about anyone seeing her outfit, but how wrong she was. The men came in when she was just about to serve lunch and she had to set the table in their presence.

Cora thought of tying her khanga : A light decorated cotton fabric that she had purchased two years back from the East African regions of her maternal homeland that was commonly used to make clothes or even to just tie round the waist , but she thought Jonathan would be angry then deem her unpresentable.

She ended up setting the table with only an apron over her clothes with the hope that no issue would arise over her clothing , after all , being a Saturday , Lan had informed her she was allowed to wear anything as long as decent. Cora knew what she wore was not indecent : her t-shirt was loose just a little tight at her bust and her tights were simply comfortable , not too tight but she knew it was her body. Her frame was the indecent one . She prayed and hoped , they would over look her but luck not being on her side, they actually made her an element of ridicule. What hurt her most , was the dismissive laugh when it was suggested that her build could actually be natural . In embarrassment and hurt , she rushed and changed into a half dry uniform .

If she calculated the total amount of money she had accumulated from her profession, it was enough to reconstruct her body and buy an extravagant mansion with the remaining balance, but she had a burden. Her aunt , who was her only close relation in the state had severe ailments and two - thirds of her money were channeled towards chemotherapy and frequent surgeries for she had breast cancer coupled up with heart problems. A third of her money was channeled towards her aunt's five kids upkeep, education fees and house rent. In the long run, Cora ended up with just enough to support her needs.

She sighed and wiped her tears. Cora needed more money, a fact which combined with blackmail pushed her into her current deal. Cora smiled ruefully. Jonathan Blue was a charismatic man , a result of possession of important properties, invention of genius projects and overwhelming wealth. If she succeeded against Jonathan, she would be paid thrice her usual and she would be able to take care of all her needs with no struggle , even remain with a good tangible balance. It was good deal but she wanted to pull out.

The reasons were simple. The main fact was that in reality , her assignment was actually quite tough. She had spotted high tech sensors, surveillance cameras , even alarm bulbs and she was sure there were more. Jonathan's house though modest with reasonably expensive finishings , it was security tight and Cora knew her mission was suicide. She was doomed for failure even before she begun.

Cora stood up and paced the floor. She had to come up with something before Mr. Yong started being impatient. After much thought, she decided to seek help from her boss: The Don. The man could probably talk to Mr. Yong so that she would not have to continue with the mission . Cora would then plead with The Don to allow her run a few more missions so that she could save little money for her survival just before she pulled out. She was tired of the assassin life.

Cora looked at the time, it was only 4 p.m. She shook her head, thinking usually took her hours . Cora wore a now dry loose dress and a coat over it, she left the room only to bump into Lan . He double took her form then frowned.