Chapter 28 - Blowback

Hazel's P.O.V

It was around 10pm when the taxi dropped me outside the Crofts mansion, I had not seen or heard from Caleb since he saw me with Ben that morning, and for some reason I felt guilty

It was around 10pm when the taxi dropped me outside the Crofts mansion, I had not seen or heard from Caleb since he saw me with Ben that morning, and for some reason I felt guilty. The thought that my actions could have even hurt him in the slightest way made me feel sick. I couldn't understand why I felt that way; it wasn't like our marriage was based on love and when I gave him a chance, he returned it by nearly shagging the closest whore he could find.

As the mighty gates opened to let me into the estate, I thought about how complicated my love life had gotten because of Ben's confession. From the way he was already acting I knew if I told him I got married to Caleb he would completely lose it and it would entirely destroy him because I was so sure I was his first love.

When I finally entered the mansion I met the Crofts' Butler waiting for me at the door.

"Young Madam, where have you been?" He questioned.

"I wasn't aware that I had to tell you my movements." I rudely answered back.

The butler scrunched up his face in irritation before he replied "Your husband has been in a terrible accident and is currently in surgery."

"He's what?!" I gasped in shock.

"The whole family is at the hospital and Master Crofts has been trying to reach you." He informed.

I immediately dived into my handbag and brought out my dead phone, it had died some hours back when I was hiding away in a bar near the office afraid of what was going to happen when I got home.

"I had...I had.......no idea.......My.....My phone died......." I stammered.

I covered my face with my hands in shame; I couldn't believe that I was hiding from Caleb while he was in hospital fighting for his life. The tears began to fall out, all the emotions that I had been feeling in the last few days all began to break through and I felt myself sobbing.

"Young Madam, please don't cry, I can arrange for someone to drive you down to the hospital." The butler offered. I nodded my head and ran up the stairs to get my charger, by the time I made it back down the stairs, a car was already waiting for me. I thanked the butler and hastily jumped into the car.

                                     **********************

When I eventually made it to the hospital waiting room, I was met with distasteful looks by Caleb's family and a worried one by my mom, Eric Yang, and grandfather Crofts

"What happened to Caleb?" I squeaked.

"Oh honey." My mom replied as she ran towards me and pulled me into a hug.

"Oh now your whoring self cares about my son!" Cecelia Crofts (Caleb's mother) snapped, "I knew this marriage was a joke." She continued while throwing her hands up in the air and giving her father the dirtiest look in the world.

"Watch your mouth." My mother demanded with steam coming out from her head.

"How can I, when your slutty offspring doesn't know what the word marriage means?" Cecelia carried on.

"I already told you she spent the night with me." My mother clapped back.

"It's despicable that you cover for your harlot of a daughter, when I saw her get out of another man's car this morning!" Cecelia stated with a smirk.

I felt my heart sink, I should have known that many eyes would be on Caleb and I, I did not think of the consequences when I let Ben drop me off at the office.

"Ben is Hazel's best friend, of course he is allowed to drop her off!" My mother came to my defence once more, however Cecilia snorted and looked her father dead in the eye.

"If the whore you wedded to my son says she is pregnant, I want three paternity tests as evidence-"

Cecilia had not finished saying the last word in her sentence when my mother lunged for her with full force and began to attack her. I watched amazed as my mother defended my honour with everything she had as she was not your typical fighter and strongly believed that violence was not the answer.

 I watched amazed as my mother defended my honour with everything she had as she was not your typical fighter and strongly believed that violence was not the answer

I watched as Caleb's father and Eric jumped in to pull the two women apart while they shouted profanities at each other.

"I'll kill you and your uncultured daughter!" Cecilia shouted at my mother.

"Not before I kill you!" My mother screamed back.

"They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, no wonder you got pregnant so early!" Cecilia spewed with the utmost hate.

I was just about to punch my mother-in-law when Grandfather Crofts hit his walking stick on the marble floor and yelled "Enough! Everyone except Hazel and Eric get out! Get the fuck out now!"

I had never seen Grandfather Crofts so mad in the whole time I knew him, and was not one bit surprised, when everyone gathered their things and exited the waiting room. Hours flew by as we waited for news about Caleb's condition, and Eric and I were too scared to utter a word in the head of the Crofts family's presence.

The waiting room was painfully quiet until Grandfather Crofts turned to me and said, "Caleb is the most precious thing to me in the world and I won't allow even you to hurt him, if you want out of this marriage, now is your time to speak up."

_________ Author's Notes ____________

If you enjoyed the chapter, please don't forget to vote ⭐⭐⭐ and comment.

_____________________________