Chapter 32 - Heartless

Two days later

Caleb's P.O.V

"So what are you saying?" I snapped at my grandfather's personal doctor

"I've tested everyone in your family, and no one is a match." He replied shaking.

"So you're telling me out of everyone here, no one is a match?!" I growled.

"You're grandfather's blood type is very rare, and with his weakened heart and poor mental state, the outlook is looking very grim."

"Why the fuck do we pay you so much if you can't keep the most important person in this house alive?!" I roared.

"Caleb calm the hell down, he's clearly doing his best." My dad interjected.

"Why are you acting like you care about him? Everyone knows you want him dead so you can stop paying back the money you were caught stealing to feed your gambling addiction." I clapped back at my father.

"Caleb, watch your tone." My mother warned, "He is still your father no matter what."

I laughed like a mad man at her words, I detested my nuclear family with a passion, and the only family member I loved was on his death bed. I closed my eyes as I remembered the exact moment when my grandfather's condition started worsening; It was when he read the divorce contract that his lawyers drew up for me and the heartless woman that left me on a hospital bed just after I had a car accident.

Even though a year had passed, I kept asking myself the same question, 'How could she be so heartless?'

I shut the big wooden doors to my grandfather's room and sat on the chair next to his bedside while he rested, I was so physically and emotionally drained at this point. I hated that her hazel eyes haunted my dreams, and her scent still lingered in our bedroom, I despised myself for missing the way her smooth skin felt on my finger tips, and I especially hated the fact that I craved the taste of her soft honey lips.

"So heartless....." I thought out loud as I shook my head. I had given my heart to a woman so heartless.

I soon felt a hand cover mine "Don't call her that, she's still so special to me." My grandfather softly whispered, "And to you too."

"Grandfather, how are you feeling?" I asked giving the old man my attention. He always looked so full of life and ready for a fight, but he had now aged ten years in the last couple of months and his skin hung tightly to his bones.

"Like shit." The old man jested.

"Stop looking so sad and lost Caleb, I'll be fine. Besides I thought you didn't like me, you always complained that I controlled your life." He said trying to lighten the mood.

"I love you so much Grandfather, don't even joke about that." I replied in a stern voice.

"I need you to do me a favour." The old man pleaded, "Please find and bring her to me, I need to know she's okay and will be fine after I pass."