Chapter 29 - Questions and Answers

I couldn't believe the old man just asked me if I wanted out of my marriage with Caleb, I looked at his face which carried so much disappointment and sorrow. I felt my heartbreak at the sadness in his eyes, the old man had been nothing but good and sweet to me since he met me, he treated me like a biological granddaughter, and I couldn't help but imagine how upset my abeulo would be at me for causing his best friend to show such emotions.

As for the question, I did not know how to answer it, my mind was a maze and my emotions were currently tangled up and confused, I continued to stare at the old man until Eric interrupted, "With all the respect grandfather, I think Caleb and Hazel should have this chat instead."

Grandfather Crofts was about to reply Eric when a doctor came up to us. "Caleb is now out of surgery and his vitals are good, he suffered from a broken arm and a punctured abdomen. We were able to stop the internal bleeding and his organs are fine. He should be able to make a speedy recovery and be back to his old self soon." The doctor informed us.

"That's fantastic." Eric beamed while Grandfather Crofts let out a sigh of relief.

"Can we see him?" I asked in a low voice.

"Yes you all can." The doctor answered, he then led past the long hospital hallways, stopped in front of the door to Caleb's private hospital room, waved goodbye, and continued his rounds.

When we all entered the beautiful yet comfortably designed hospital room, we all hurried to Caleb's side to see how he was doing, he had all types of gadgets and tubes attached to his body and seeing the arrogant Caleb crofts in a hospital gown still unconscious brought us all to tears.

"Oh.....my poor grandson." Grandfather Crofts cried as he latched on to Caleb's left hand, "Grandfather is here now, and I promise I won't let anyone hurt you again." He assured Caleb while squeezing his arms.

"You can both get out now." The old man commanded without looking up at Eric and I.

"Grandfather, I want to stay." I replied in a low but scared voice.

"Get out! I won't repeat myself again!" The old man ordered.

"Yes sir." Eric answered as he grabbed me and led me out the door.

"It's best to leave him alone when he gets like this." Eric said patting on my shoulder.

"But I don't want to go.....I want to be there for Caleb-" Eric instantly cut me off with a sinister laugh, his whole demeanour suddenly changed as he stared at me in anger.

"Why?" He curiously asked, "Is it because he is your legal husband? Or Is it because you're feeling guilty for cheating on him?....Oh maybe it's because you are just interested in his money."

I was so shocked by Eric's words that my mouth fell wide open, like a deer caught in a car's headlights, I did not know how to react and could only stare at him wide eyed.