Chapter 15 - Married

Chapter 15 – Married

Two weeks flew by quickly and it was finally the night before I became a married woman. I looked through the gifts my colleagues handed me as a wedding and leaving gift as I finalised my suitcases with a smile. I had worked in that insurance company since I finished college and though I knew I wouldn't stay there forever, it was a comfortable place to work and the management were lovely.

As I zipped my last suit case, my mother walked into my room.

"I can't believe you're getting married." She said feeling both sadness and joy.

"Me neither." I replied with a shrug.

"I am going to feel so lonely with you and my father gone...." She said as she broke down in tears.

"Mom, don't cry, I'll visit as much as possible, it will be like I never left." I reassured her.

"It's been me, you, and your grandfather for as long as I can remember, and It's feels like I have lost you both in the same time period." She continued opening up her true feelings.

My mother had gotten pregnant at the age of sixteen by her high school sweetheart and gave birth to me just shy of seventeen. Even though Abeulo was disappointed in her, he drove to my father's house and demanded that the young couple got married which my mother was over the moon with as her young heart adored my father.

However a piece of her heart chipped away each time my father cheated on her with anything that wore a skirt, and the final blow to her heart came when he told her that she trapped him with a child and that he wanted to leave and experience the world without ever looking back. After such heartache at the age of twenty two, my mom had completely lost her mind forcing my Abeulo to move in with us, and twenty-one years later, there we were.

"Mom, I think you should put yourself back out there." I commented, "I know you have been on a few dates here and there, but you're still young and deserve to be happy."

"Mija, believe me! I have tried multiple times, but I just don't think I can love any man like I loved your father."She solemnly said.

For some reason, her words made me fume, how could she still love a man that walked out the door when I was five and never once looked back? How could she love a man that cheated on her and trampled over heart time after time? How could she love a man that not once sent me a birthday card, or was there when I graduated college, or would not even be at his daughter's wedding?

"Well I think you should try harder getting over that no good low life that abandoned you and your daughter without supporting them or caring for their welfare over two decades ago." I snapped.

"Who knows, he might have even done the world a favour and have died." I despicably said.

"Hazel!" My mother called out gasping.

"Please leave my room." I said in anger, "I need to have a good sleep so I can get through tomorrow smiling." I yawned.

The next day I was up bright and early, I took a long bath before putting on the simple white dress that was to be worn to the small private chapel where Caleb and I were to be married. My mother had decided to go with my wishes of a small private wedding and Grandfather Crofts had agreed.

I sat on my vanity table and combed my hair out before parting it in the middle and packing it up at the back of my head. I did my makeup as natural as possible and only emphasized my brows, eyeliner, and my lips with nude lipstick.

 I did my makeup as natural as possible and only emphasized my brows, eyeliner, and my lips with nude lipstick