Chapter 45: Surprise Appearances

September 1st, 1996

"Hurry up, you two!" Mrs. Weasley called to Harry and Ron, "Or else you're going to miss the train!"

This was the day... the day that I made my grand-return to Hogwarts. I almost vomited last night thinking about it. I wished that nobody would've questioned anything... or notice that I had returned at all. But I didn't know what was going to happen the moment I walked through the wall to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters and boarded the Hogwarts Express.

"Alright, Ginny... Hermione... you first!" Mrs. Weasley gestured.

The two girls shot each other excited glances before they ran through the wall. Then Harry went... and then Ron.

"Okay, Dawn, your turn!" Mrs. Weasley beamed.

I hesitantly took a step towards the wall, and then backed away. I felt like I was going to vomit again. I really did not want to go back to school.

"I know that you're nervous, dear..." Mrs. Weasley consoled, "But I can assure you that everything will be okay. I'll walk through with you."

I nodded as Mrs. Weasley grabbed my hand and walked with me through the barrier. As I walked through, Kings Cross Station disappeared behind me to show the Hogwarts Express getting ready to leave. I took notice of everybody standing around, panicking. If the stress of going back to school wasn't enough, the large crowd and loud noise definitely added to it. 

"Okay, let's gather over there," Mrs. Weasley ordered, pointing to an empty corner near the front of the train.

The five of us followed her, gathering in the corner. I noticed many older wizards shooting me confused looks as I passed by them. They were confusing me for her. I kept my head down, quickly digging through my trunk for a jumper to cover my hair and face.

"What are you doing?" Ginny asked.

"People are staring at me," I stammered, "I'm looking for my jumper..."

Ginny shrugged as I grabbed an oversized black jumper and pulled it over my head. My face was still visible, but at least my hair was covered, so I didn't resemble her as much. Mrs. Weasley handed us our tickets as we handed our luggage off to one of the employees.

While handing off my luggage, somebody shoved past my shoulder, causing me to lose my balance. I understood that the train station was crowded, but this was done purposely.

"Watch where you're going!" I spat, turning around to face the person.

My heart sank when I saw him... Draco. He resembled exactly how he looked in Diagon Alley: sharper features, tired gray eyes, and taller. He still wore the black suit I gave him. He glared at me as I stood only a foot away from him.

"So, the rumors are true..." Draco seethed, furrowing his eyebrows. He then strutted off and onto the train.

The panic I felt slowly dissipated as he walked away. I pulled the jumper farther over my hair before I handed off my last trunk to the employee. I quickly walked back to Mrs. Weasley, who was busy reprimanding Ron for his untidy hair. 

"RONALD, WHY DIDN'T YOU BRUSH YOUR HAIR BEFORE WE LEFT TODAY?" Mrs. Weasley shouted, quickly running her hands through his knotted hair, "YOU'RE A PREFECT, FOR MERLIN'S SAKE! YOU CAN'T WALK IN THERE LOOKING LIKE YOU JUST ROLLED THROUGH THE PIG'S PEN!"

"MUM... STOP!" Ron protested, pulling away from his mother's nagging. 

Mrs. Weasley huffed loudly, letting go of him. Ron fixed his own hair as he walked away from his mother. I chuckled slightly, but I saw myself dissociating while I looked around. It was like I was stuck in some sort of depression bubble... and nobody else seemed to notice.