Chapter 83: Remus's Offer

*CW: Violence*

August 2nd, 1997

Apart from the time when Walburga Black's portrait had gone off, this morning was a particularly quiet one. Harry spent most of his time locked away in Sirius's room, mourning his godfather and playing with his golden snitch. Hermione and Ron took turns playing the piano in the main room; however, both were horrible at it. But unlike my friends and their joyous activities, I spent my morning cleaning and sending patronuses to the order, on Harry's demand of course.

I couldn't bring myself to spend time with my friends considering I tried to kill them only hours before. I woke up early that morning to grab the knife out of the corner of the room, which was how I got distracted with cleaning in the first place. I spent the next hour and a half doing dishes, considering it looked like Kreacher hadn't touched them in years. That's how many dirty dishes there were. I could have used magic, but I cleaned the dishes the muggle-way: with a sponge and soap. I assumed there were so many dishes because Sirius had died, and Kreacher got transferred to Hogwarts, so therefore, nobody was home to wash anything in the sink.

But the activity was calming and took my mind off everything haunting my consciousness.

While finishing the last couple of plates, Harry called from his bedroom, although I didn't understand what he had said.

"Harry says to send another patronus, Dawn!" Ron called from the other room, confirming Harry's muffles.

I sighed loudly in annoyance, placing the dish rag on the counter, "Why me? Why can't any of you send one?"

There was a moment of silence before I heard some more incoherent shouting between the two, which ended with Harry leaving his room for a slight second to repeat himself, and then slamming the door shut again.

"He says it's because nobody knows what your patronus looks like," Ron responded once the screaming had died out, "And yours is less likely to draw attention."

"Yes, because the giant python won't catch anyone's eye," I scoffed sarcastically underneath my breath, "It's not like the dark lord's trademark is snakes or anything..."

I rolled my eyes, grabbing my wand from my pocket. I thought of the happiest memory I could've fathom before casting the spell. It wasn't really a memory, just more of a thought. I thought about how I'd feel seeing Neville again after the war: to kiss him, to hug him, to jump into his arms. Honestly, he was the only thing keeping me sane throughout this entire experience.

"Expecto Patronum!" I shouted as a blue light emitted from my wand, and then took the form of a snake.

"For the home along Piscaries Way..." I told the patronus, "Tell them that the quidditch equipment, books, and record player they left at the Islington Inn are safe."

My patronus hissed at me before slithering away and disappearing from the house. Moments later, Hermione entered the kitchen as Ron returned to banging the piano keys in the main room. She opened one of the cupboards and grabbed some baking materials.

"Who lives on Piscaries Way?" Hermione asked as she grabbed a mixing bowl.

"Nobody important, it's just a road full of muggles," I shrugged, causing Hermione to give me a look of shock, "Don't give me that look, Hermione, I know what I'm doing! Remus and Tonks live near there, but of course I would be the only one to know that."

"Oh... well, do you think either will respond?" Hermione asked hesitantly, pouring her baking materials into the large bowl. I shrugged in response.

"Considering the last few have gotten no response, I'm not exactly sure," I sighed, "I for sure thought that Mrs. Weasley would have appeared seconds after I had sent my patronus to them."