Mystery Eye

☂ 

18 YEARS AGO

I hear my siblings upstairs, running to go eat. I realize how much I crave to see them. I sit on the bed, looking around at the plain white cell walls. I hear yelling upstairs, then stomping.

Suddenly, I blink and I am outside the academy, sitting on the sidewalk on a summery say. I quickly get up and look around to see Five running down the street. 

"Five!" I yell, running after him.

He jumps again, this time it's a snowy day. I hear him laugh. I realize that he is time traveling. Shit.

He runs full speed and jumps one more time. 

He stops dead in his tracks and looks around. Buildings were destroyed. Smoke filled the sky. Fires were spread around.

I go to yell his name again, but something happens. My body feels too be, disintegrating. I try to move, but I just fall to the ground. Suddenly, the next thing I knew was Five picking me up out of a pile of rubble, calling me Doloris. 

 ☂ 

PRESENT

Vanya comes back with a coffee for Five and me. I say thank you. She nods

"I survived on scarps. Canned food, cockroaches...anything I could find." Five starts.

He scoffs.

"You know that rumor that twinkies have an endless self live? Well, it's total bullshit."

"I can't even imagine," Vanya says.

"You do anything you can do to survive. Or, you die." Five says, looking at the ground.

"So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we overcame it."

"We?" Vanya asks.

"Doloris and I. Well, y/n I guess." Five takes a sip of his coffee.

"Got anything stronger?" he asks.

Vanya pours some whisky into a cup for Five. He takes a sip and sighs. I stick out my hand, indicating I want some. He gives me the cup.

Five stares long and hard at Vanya.

"You think I'm crazy." He laughs.

"No no no! I-...it's just a lot to take in." Vanya says, shaking her head.

"Exactly what do you not understand?" Five snaps. I hand him the whisky back.

"Why didn't you just time travel back?" Vanya asks. I scoff.

"Gee, wish I thought of that!" Five says.

"Time travel is a crapshoot. I went into the ice and never acorned." Five takes a long sip of the drink, finishing it all.

"You think I didn't try everything to get back to my family?" Five spat. Vanya gives him a sad look.