"Nothing Lasts Forever"

T W E N T Y  T W O

Nathaniel

Sometimes you have to make choices even if they aren't right for everyone, you have to sacrifice things even if they mean something to you.

I take a sip of my scotch, staring into space. If i have to sit through dinner with my ex girlfriend and my fiance i'm going to need to take the edge off.

I'm a dick, i realise that. I'm not as ignorant as i seem, i know what Anastasia and I are doing is wrong, what i'm doing to Danielle is wrong but i just...

I don't have an excuse for my behaviour. I love both of them.

That sounds ridiculous doesn't it? "God i'm such a asshole" i mumble, running a hand through my hair.

I wish i could explain to Anna just how complicated my relationship with Danielle and her family is but i wouldn't know how to tell her.

How am i supposed to tell her that Danielle's father is the only thing keeping my company running? That-

"Nathan!" Danielle's voice calls, i turn around to face her with a forced smile.

"Don't make promises you can't keep"

I can't stop replaying what Anna said before i left earlier. I feel guilty, every time i look at Danielle i'm reminded of that guilt.

Every time i touch or even think of Anna i'm reminded of the fact that no matter how much i want her, unless Danielle breaks off this engagement herself there is no way i can get out of marrying her.

"How've you been" she asks, pressing a kiss to my lips. "Good, great even. Can we leave?" I ask. She nods eagerly "where are we having dinner?"

"I suggested we go out but Anna invited us over" She gives me a look, her eyes squint and she surveys me for a moment.

"What?" She shrugs "nothing, lets go" she says sternly, spinning on her heel and heading out. I finish the last of my drink and follow her.

My heart pounds rapidly in my chest as we ride the lift up to Anna's floor. The clammy feeling i get doesn't sit well with me, the last time i felt like this was when it dawned on me i'd probably never see her again.

And now here i am, stuck in this mess taking my fiance up to my ex girlfriends house for dinner.

We walk down the hallway and stop in front of her door.

I'm going to piss myself.

Danielle rings the buzzer, her nails glimmering in the light and it reminds me of the scars on Anna's shoulder.

The door swings open to reveal Anna with an apron on, in a red dress, red heels and her hair and makeup done.

My eyes soften at the sight of her, she looks so empowering, even stronger than she used to. She carries herself with a different confidence, a confidence she didn't have when we were going out.

"Hey, welcome! Please come in" She greets with a bright smile but when her eyes land on me it falters, she glares at me and says nothing as i step in.