"Maeve"

F O U R T E E N

The drive back home is silent, I glance at Hunter a few times whilst concentrating on the road but he seems distant.

"Are you okay? Was it the dinner? Should i have said no?" I halt at a signal, switch geers and turn to look at him. He sighs, looking down at his hands "No no, that's not it." He looks dejected, his lips purse and his shoulders sulk.

"You've never lied to me, have you?" He questions suddenly, my breath hitches as i hit accelerate. "There are things i haven't told you, but i haven't.. lied" i lie. I'm lying, why am i always lying?

I lied about lying.

"Okay, i just... nevermind" he lets out a breathy laugh, a half smile on his face.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I reassure, smiling at him. He nods "i know, don't worry about it.."

Why does he not want me to worry?

I'm tempted to ask him but i decide not to press the topic any further.

Our weekend ends quickly and sooner than we'd like, its Monday again. I no longer need to go to skyline HQ which means i can start writing the article for next months issue... Which is in less than a month.

I'm seated at the small table in the corner of our room with a steaming mug of coffee, a scone and my laptop staring at roughly a 100 words i typed out without thinking. "Did you hear the news?" Hunter inquires, sliding his laptop off his lap and turning to look at me. I raise an eyebrow at him, sipping my coffee. "Stella might be pregnant" he chuckles out, a mildly shocked expression on his face.

I stare at him wide-eyed over the rim of my mug, stuck in place.

"You're joking!" I say in disbelief, he shakes his head 'no' as he unlocks his phone and shows me his screen.

"Of course, its Alston that texts this" i grimace, shaking my head in disapproval. Hunter chuckles "ironic huh?, i bet its his" i jump, suddenly remembering Mon. "Oh my god! Speaking of pregnant!" I set down my mug, dust my hands off any crumbs and pick my phone up to dial her number.

I glance at Hunter whilst the phone continues to ring to see his eyes bulging out if its sockets, staring directly at me in shock. I laugh "relax, i'm not" he looks relived but shrugs nonchalantly, "i didn't think you were" i roll my eyes, chuckling at his childishness. "Sure- hey! Mon!" I smile when she finally answers, i haven't seen nor heard from her since she dropped the 'i may or may not be pregnant bomb' on us. The line remains silent for a few moments before someone speaks up "Its mike, Monica is uh... showering" he says sheepishly, my eyes widen "Mike?!"

"What're you doing at Monica's?" I question, surprised. He lets out an awkward chuckle "nothing?". I roll my eyes "well, when your girlfriend is done showering, ask her to call me back please" i say sarcastically, "she's nit my girl-" he begins to protest but i hang up.

She is.

If you think Nate and I were hot and cold, Monica and Mike are ice and lava. "Mike?" Hunter laughs, pushing the circular gold glasses up the bridge of his nose. I smile, "Mike is dating my friend Monica and they may or may not be having a kid together" i explain.

I almost laugh at the sound of that, the two most immature people in our friend circle having a baby together. Who wouldn't laugh?

I mean you would've had one too...

I keep thinking to myself, that even if i managed to carry that child through everything, i wouldn't have gone through with it. I just imagine myself taking care of a baby, Nathan's baby in this case, if he weren't with me. "Uh, Anna?" I hum looking at Hunter in a half daze. "You spaced out, penny for your thoughts?" I look down at my mug in my hands, biting my lip.