"Heart been broke so many times"

S I X

I drop myself in bed, exhausted from everything that happened today. I have a meeting tomorrow, with nathan. How am i supposed to face him?

One part of me is terrified. How will he react? Will he kick me out? Demand another person take his interview? My throat clogs with anxiety, my whole body growing uneasy. The other part of me wants to run away, risk losing Stella's trust over it.

But i know i can't do that. I need to stay on her good side if i ever want to succeed as a writer. After Michael and the girls found out i'd be seeing Nathan tomorrow, they all promised to keep their lips sealed, Mike offered to tag along for the interview but i insisted it wasn't necessary, now i'm starting to think i made a mistake.

I roll onto my side, unlocking my phone and calling Hunter, i needed a distraction and he seems to be the only one who can do so. It rings a few times before he answers, "hello?" He pants out, sounding like he ran a mile.

Oh god was he-

"Am i interrupting something?" I ask hesitantly, Hunter falls silent but i can still hear his ragged breathing "No? What would you be interrupting?" He asks, puzzled. I let out a breath i was holding "Nothing, you sound like you ran a mile" he chuckles "because i ran a couple miles, i'm at the gym" my brows shoot up "oh? A gym at 9 am? Impressive. Well do you want me to call you back in a while or something?".

"No no its fine, i'm done anyway. What's up?" He breathes out, i look down at my nails "Oh nothing i just had Lunch with the girls, we caught up" i explain, smiling. "That's amazing, how are they?"

Well Monica might be pregnant.
Gen is well... Gen.

"T-they're okay, the usual. Busy with work and relationships" I laugh out, he chuckles "That's nice, so what're you up to now? Please don't tell me you're talking and driving-" He asks, there's shifting in the background and then soft music. "No you idiot, Just got home, i'm beat and my meeting is at 9:30 am so i'll probably prep for that and relax for the rest of the evening" I explain, kicking my shoes off in the process.

Hunter hums "Enjoy your day, beautiful. I have to get to work after a quick shower at home, i'll call you when i'm done with work if i get out early. There's a bunch of meetings lined up for us" i hear him shut a car door.

"Yeah, sure no problem. Have fun" i smile "bye" he says "bye" i reply and hang up.

I lay on my back for a little while longer, staring at the ceiling in my own world.

After i change into a simple pair of shorts and a hoodie i get under the soft covers of my bed with a mug of coffee and laptop, opening up my drafts i stare at the screen of questions.

What prompted you to open the new branch in seattle?

Are you planning on expanding your franchise out of luxury hotels and into something more?

And they go on, i sip my coffee as i come up with better questions. The interview is a full 20 minutes, and now that i know its with Nathan i'm no longer excited or confident about it.

A few more nervous sips of coffee and burning my tongue twice, my fingers fly across the keyboard as questions flood my head, i try my best not to make it sound too prying or personal.

But then i come to the very last question, the question Stella and i discussed at a one on one meeting.

His relationship status. I type it down reluctantly, saving it and shutting the laptop screen with a loud snap. I rest my head against the headboard, staring the the blank tv opposite me. My phone buzzes repeatedly, drawing my attention to it. The caller ID is unknown, i frown "Weird..."