"Somewhere Only We Know"

F I F T E E N

"Let's grab a bite, i'm hungry" i mumble, gently pushing Nathan's arms away. He frowns down at me "are you sure? I could order something in" he offers, his hands lingering mid-air. I glance at Maeve, shaking my head "No, its fine. Fresh air would do us some good. It stopped raining, we should be fine" i step around him and grab my bag "come on Maevey, we're going for a walk" i smile at her.

I grab a hold of her stroller handles and head out, Nathan following us. "Hold on, let me grab my coat" he walks down the hall and appears with his black coat a few moments later. We head down in silence, Maeve being the only one making noise.

As we step out of the elevator she points at something and says "mik!" Nathan and i look in the direction she's pointing to see a lady holding a plastic cup of milk and chuckle "yes honey, that's milk" i acknowledge. she giggles, excited that she got it right.

We walk out and down the sidewalk, passing by a few restaurants. "Did you have breakfast?" He speaks up, glancing at me. I nod "Yeah sort of, just a scone and coffee" he nods, looking around.

We seriously have to stop nodding at each other.

I stop in front of a bakery/cafe, i came here the last time we were in London. An old couple ran the place with their granddaughters and they baked amazing tiramisu. "In here" i call out, Nathan holds the door open for me to wheel Maeve in before walking in himself. He takes a deep breath and hums "woah this place smells amazing" i smile "i know right? I came here the last time we were in London..." i trail off, looking around for a familiar face.

"Oh? Was it when.." he trails off, i chuckle "Yeah, it was then.." he bobs his head in acknowledgement, tucking his hands into his coat pockets. I walk up to the counter and recognize one of the granddaughters "hey! I don't know if you remember me, i came here a long time ago" i grin at her, she stares at me for a few moments, her eyes scanning me from head to toe.

And then she grins "i think i do! You came here right before new years right? You bought like 3 slices of tiramisu from me because you liked it so much?" She confirms, i laugh "yes that was me"

Nathan whips his head to thr side to look at me "you ate 3 slices by yourself all whilst i was waiting for you at our hotel?" He questions in shock, i look up at him, smiling sheepishly "yeah...?"

"Oh my god! Has it really been that long? You have a daughter, she's beautiful!" She gushes before i can stop her, "when did you two get married?" She looks up at us expectantly.

"Actually we-" i elbow Nathan in the gut and smile at her "we're getting married next year" she smiles, playing with Maeve "congratulations!"

"Thank you! Can we get 2 tiramisu's and 2 black coffees please?" She nods, standing up right "sure! have a seat".

After our little snack we're on our way back to the office when Nathan stops suddenly "wait!" He exclaims, i crane my neck to see him talking to someone in a little pop up cart with these small trinkets and collectables on display. I walk backwards and stop beside him, listening in on their conversation. "Here, keep it. Thank you" he smiles at the beaten down, tired man.

The man looks at the notes in his hands and shakes his head "sir, this is too kind i can't accept it-" He protests but Nathan cuts him off "no, please i insist. Buy yourself a hot meal and some warm clothes" He says genuinely, smiling at the grateful man.

My heart just melted into mushy goop.

"Please, take whatever you like. I insist" The man says, gesturing to all his items. Nathan chuckles "Its okay, i wanted to do this for you" the man grins, almost in tears "thank you so much, son. But i insist, for the lady?" Nathan opens his mouth to protest but when he swings his head to meet my eyes the words die on his lips, the look he gives me sends warmth and tingles all over my body.