"Cheaters never prosper"

T W E N T Y  T H R E E

"What?!" I scream, spinning around to face my laptop i look up the latest news with shaky hands and begin scrolling.

Jane suddenly bursts out laughing "i'm kidding-" she begins but i stop her "you're not.." i trail off, clicking on a link related to Nathan's new 'side piece'.

'Barely a week into the announcement of businessman Nathaniel O'Connor's engagement which, granted seemed to have taken place roughly in mid october, He seems to have found a new townie. This mysterious girl gets close and comfortable in his arms as they're seen roaming around the city, although her identity is unknown many people are beginning to speculate it's the girl in the image below seen standing between Michael Baker, son of renowned designer James Baker and Nathaniel himself taken 3 years ago at the Bakers estate.

Could this be the start of a new scandal? If that's indeed the case, the girl between them is none other than Richard Black's daughter from well known Black Logistics and Enterprises, has a trip to the city rekindled an old flame?'

I stare at the screen, mortified.

Jane looks at me "You dated him?!-" she shouts in surprise then gasps "is that why you were acting so weird during that entire week?" I can hear her but the words she's speaking are not registering in my head.

My ears are ringing and i can feel blood running through them. My head feels light, like a delayed hangover from 3 new years' ago. I pick my phone up with a shakey hand and call Nathan.

It rings... and rings... and rings and-

"Fucking shit!" I slam my hand on the desk, causing Jane to jump back. "Anna calm down..." i turn to look at her "you saw this before you cracked that joke didn't you" i ask her, glaring up at her.

She purses her lips and steps back just as Hunter stops in front of my cabin, he seems to think for a moment before he pokes his head in "next time you lie to a boyfriend, make sure you cover up the fact that you're related to a well know businessman. And the fact that your ex boyfriend is the man we met on multiple occasions that you also lied about" he says calmly, giving me a tight lipped, sarcastic smile before walking away.

I sink further into my chair feeling like my life just got buried in quicksand and there's no way out no matter how much i dig my way up to the surface, more sand seems to gather and bury me.

"I'm... gonna go" Jane mumbles, walking away quickly.

I stare at the article in front of us, not knowing what to do or say.

"Damn Anna, the CEO and Owner of skyline? Score" Alston jokes, i turn to face him and let out a sarcastic cackle and drop my face "fuck off before i push you down an elevator shaft you boss impergnating, egotistical wanker!" I yell, making him stop short. He looks at me like i just told him i fucked his granddad and proceeds to walk away.

I slam my head on the desk and hit my head repeatedly, what the fuck kinda shitstorm cooked itself up overnight?

My phone begins ringing and i'm in two minds about throwing it out the window from our current position on the 20th floor when i look at the ID.

I quickly answer it "what the fuck? Holy- Anna i can't- what the hell have you guys done?!" Gen yells into the phone. I gulp, swallowing the lump in my throat.

This is bad, this is very, very bad.

"I-i know, but i can explain. No one was supposed to know-" i begin with an unsteady voice but she cuts me off "-not supposed to know- jesus christ Anna what's wrong with you guys?! You have a boyfriend and Nathan- he's almost married! Oh my god- Michael is absolutely clueless... and so is Monica! They're going to kill you both." She emphasizes.