"What Are You Hiding"

S I X T E E N

I don't think i've ever ran out of a place that quickly.

I turn over and stare at the ceiling, the moonlight casts shadows on it, making strange shapes but no matter what i do i can't get the look on Nathan's face out of my head. The pain in his eyes, confusion, worry, fear.

After i walked away i refused to look back, Nathan didn't try to chase after me which i was grateful for, but part of me wished he did. I told Hunter i wasn't feeling well, and we left without saying goodbye to anyone.

I roll my head to the side where Hunter lays peacefully, fast asleep. He looks so peaceful, the fact that i'm beside him, lying to him and he's so oblivious.

God, i deserve to be shot. Again.

My hand absentmindedly skims over the bare skin on my stomach, a scar the length of a pen across it. I frown, tracing my finger over the scarred flesh, memories following.

I wish i could go back and change what happened if only I had gone to the police back then... god i don't want to imagine what would've happened. It would've changed everything.

But there's no point in crying over spilt milk, Jason died... and took Pierce with him. And as much as that still pains me, I've learnt to cope with it. He lost his life because of me and i still have nightmares from that day, but he also betrayed me... or that's what it looked like. I'll never know the truth.

I need to visit his grave next time i'm here.

I tap my phone to check the time and refrain from groaning when it reads 4:15. Our flight is at 12 noon, and we have to be up by 9.

This is going to be one tiring, dry day.

I manage to fall asleep when the sun begins to rise and wake up to the sound of a zipper.

"Come on, give in already. What's the big deal?" Jason stands over me, pants undone, a bullet in his chest.

I try to scream, but i'm paralyzed. I stare at him, mortified. My heart feels like its about to beat out of my chest, my mouth goes dry and i begin to shiver.

"Let me feel that pussy again" he speaks filthly with a smirk, making me cringe. My lips quiver and my eyes tear up but no matter what i do i can't move or scream or protest. The figure in the corner of the room sobs "help me Anna, i'm hurt" he begs weakly, i focus on his face and my heart stops. Pierce's cool blue eyes drill into me, his face covered in blood.

I feel my throat start to close up, i snap my focus onto Jason who hovers over me with his hands wrapped around my neck "die you horrible bitch! Die and join me!"

"Anna wake up!"

I jolt up, screaming for dear life. I pant heavily, shoving Hunter off me in a daze. "It's me! Its Hunter, breathe.." He speaks calmly, cradling my face. "Look at me, it was a bad dream. You're okay, you're safe" he reassures me with worried eyes.

I stare at him in silence, panting through parted lips and teary eyes. When my breathing evens out i weakly fall into his chest, feeling numb. He silently pulls me against him, stroking my hair. "Its okay, you're okay" he whispers, attempting to calm me.

I stare into space, wide-eyed and scared.

He's dead. He can't hurt you.

I keep chanting it in my head, over and over again till i'm able to breathe without trembling.

I pull away slowly, pushing my hair out of my face. "Are you okay?" I nod, tearing the covers off me and trudging to the bathroom in silence.

"Anna..." Hunter calls out, i turn around slowly "yeah?" He has a deep frown on his face, "you screamed a name.. in your sleep.. Jason?" I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment, breathing out a "fuck" and rubbing my head.