Chapter Eighteen - Here We Go

"Dar," I called, throwing the biggest gun in his direction. He caught it easily and I turned to the pile of weapons.

"Vet, can you shoot?" I asked, picking up my usual gun.

"Yes," He said, "But I'd prefer the axe."

I handed him the axe and tucked my gun under my arm.

I sighed in frustration and reluctantly placed the two pistols in front of Ava and Felix. They looked at each other and grabbed it cautiously, probably in case I changed my mind.

"Mina?" I started before she flashed a terrifying sword at me.

"I'm good," She smirked, and slashed the air viciously with her sword, "My good old katana will be enough protection."

"Elena? Michael?" I asked sadly.

Elena had her arm around her husband, keeping him upright. He was still weak, not completely over his sickness. Elena balanced him against a wall and picked up two knives from the pile. She returned to him and tucked one in her pocket and wielded the other.

"Alright," I sighed, "Grab whatever else you can carry and let's go."

Suddenly, I felt a weak tug on the leg of my jeans. I looked down to see Zoey with a determined look on her face. She was wearing a tiny backpack, carrying her teddy bear and a small amount of supplies.

"Do I get a weapon?" She asked.

I flinched and shook my head.

"You won't need one. Nothing will touch you," I answered.

Zoey sighed and turned away.

Carefully, I picked up another knife and watched as the others armed themselves.

"Let's do this," I muttered when no weapons remained.

**

I stood on the railing of the fire exit, facing Mina who was already lounging on the building next to us.

"Scared?" She called out to me.

I looked down and watched the horde below me for a few silent seconds. Yes, I was. But I couldn't admit that.

Tensing my legs, I gripped my gun closer and leapt for the next building. I landed more easily than I would have thought.

One by one, everyone followed, Darius jumping with Zoey on his back. I sighed and looked towards the far church, at least three or four buildings away. Mina jogged ahead and leapt without pausing at the edge of the building. I followed, hesitating for a tiny second before following suit. I heard a few more landings and started towards the next building.

That's when I heard a distant thud and a child's scream echoed in the air.

I spun around and saw Darius still on the previous building. And that meant Zoey was still there too.

"ZOEY!" I cried, running back to get a better view.

Darius was on the ground, struggling furiously with a skeletal arm gripping his ankle. Zoey was behind him, whimpering. All of a sudden, more hands appeared and latched onto Darius.

So fast, I barely even see her jump, Mina leapt back to the previous building, swinging her katana at the grasping hands.

When Darius was free, he snatched Zoey of the ground and took a wild running jump for us. In mid air he twisted and landed on his back, Zoey safe in his arms on his chest.

I rushed forward and looked them over quickly.

"Were you bitten?" I hissed.

"No," Darius snapped before standing up, still out of breath.

"Are you okay?" I asked in a kinder voice.

"Yes," He sighed.

Quickly, he replaced a shaking Zoey on his back and readjusted his gun.

I heard Mina land lightly and skip over to us. Her katana was coated in red blood.

"Don't be stupid," She sang, skipping away again.

Darius and I looked at each other in confusion but continued on.

Looking into the distance, I could see the bulk of our group were two buildings away. Right next to the church.

Mina was on the one next to ours, waiting for us.

I sighed and gestured for Darius to go ahead and jump before me. He did and I followed closely.

Mina, Darius and I quickly made the last jump and joined up with our group.

"What's the plan, Mina?" Vet asked.

"I think we should jump over there and try and get down to the ground level. If something goes to hell there, we will just climb back the bell tower and figure it out from there."

"Everyone agree with that?" Vet questioned roughly.

The silence of our group gave him his answer.

Everyone had just started to move when Felix spoke up for the first time in a while.

"Why don't you check it out quickly by yourself? I mean, you're a lot faster than us. And it would be safer." Felix was staring up at Mina with seemingly innocent eyes, but there was a cold look to them.

I watched Mina's face change to a look of fury for a second before she smiled sweetly and reached down to ruffle Felix's hair.

"Nawh," She cooed, "That's not necessary! You're completely safe with me!"

Felix exchanged a look with Ava and sighed.

"Whatever," He mumbled.

Mina smiled triumphantly and leaped across to the church roof. We all followed closely behind her. The tower was a tight squeeze but we fit snugly inside.

Mina looked us over thoughtfully and then started down the stairs. Elena and Michael, who were closest, tagged along behind her.

As soon as they were out of view, a scream echoed through the air and the bell started ringing loudly.

-

Very close to the end folks!

Much love,

Lucie

xo