Chapter Six - Though A Child's Eyes

"I'm sorry about your family," Felix whispered as he reached for my hand. I let him. But it wasn't for my sake. To be a child in this world. "How old are you and Ava?" He asked.

"Nineteen," I answered.

"Dar is 21, I'm only fifteen."

"Fifteen," I repeated slowly.

"Don't think that I'm defenceless just because I'm younger than you guys," He muttered, narrowing his eyes.

"Never said you were."

And the gunshots started ringing through the air, echoing through all the empty space, breaking the calm atmosphere Felix and I had. Ava snorted in her sleep and bolted into an upright position.

"What the hell?!" She cried.

"Shut up," I whispered. Slowly I got off the couch and peeked out the window. The moon gave off enough light to see someone running up the road, towards the house, turning back every so often to shoot one. There was only ten or so zombies but this person was quite outnumbered. Grabbing my gun that was braced on the wall, I ran to the front door.

"Hey!" I called loudly, attracting the lone persons attention and practically all the zombies, "Quickly!" They immediately changed direction and came straight at me. As quickly as I could, I started shooting. Some fell, but others stepped over the bodies of their fallen and kept advancing. It wasn't long before the person reached me and started to shoot as well. I felt a presence behind me, but I ignored it.

Bullet after bullet was shot until there were no more targets. Then I turned.

His face was red from running, blonde hair slicked down from sweat. His blue eyes flickered wildly from me and to the person behind me, probably Darius.

"Thanks," He puffed.

"Uh huh," I muttered suspiciously. I spun and stalked back to the living room in real Shayde style.

"Hey Hunter," I heard Darius say.

"Pfft.. Boys," I muttered.

Reaching the couch where Ava and Felix were sitting, I sat next to them, clutching my gun. Darius and the guy he called Hunter wandered into the room already deep in conversation.

"Girls," Darius said loudly, "This is my mate Hunter." They both gave identical smirks and Ava and I looked at each other and she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, so now we have another person coming with us?" I hissed.

Darius blinked in surprise at my tone. "Well, we can't leave him," He said slowly.

"Good luck fitting him in the backseat.."

**

And that's how I ended up in the backseat of my OWN car, squashed between Ava and Felix. Darius and Hunter were joking loudly in the front with Darius driving. I had my gun on my lap threateningly. Ruin my car and I'll ruin your face.

"We need to find a more permanent home," Felix murmured. Sometimes I swear he was the smartest of all of us.

"Likeeeeeee?" Hunter called and I narrowed my eyes. I already didn't like him.

"There's a small rest stop thing along this road that people who are traveling use."

"Kid, how do you know this stuff?" I wondered. He shrugged.

"What kind of rest stop Felix?" Darius asked, calming down a little.

"It has a bed and breakfast motel, a small hardware store, a cafe and general store," Felix listed off, sounding like a guide book.