Chapter Twenty - Regrets

"ZOEY!" I screamed, reaching down to grab her arm as she fell through the hole. I felt my hand grip her wrist and I snatched Felix out of midair before he fell.

I let out a small groan from the weight on both arms

"SHAYDE!" I heard Darius yell.

"I'm fine," I grunted, trying to lift Zoey, but I instantly stopped when I felt Felix slip a tiny bit.

"I can't hold them both," I moaned loudly.

"Hold on!" Darius cried, "I'll try and find another way to to your side.

Lifting my head, I took in the situation. Darius was still on the far side of the roof, frantically looking for a safe way down. A few metres from him, the roof disappeared. The only bit of roof left was the other side, the part where I lay on.

I looked down to see Zoey sobbing loudly and Felix was looking around, obviously trying to figure out a way out of this situation. Past them, on the ground floor of the church, onto of a pile of rubble, was a horde of zombies all reaching excitedly for Felix's dangling legs.

With every ounce of strength I had, I tried again to lift them, but I felt them slip a tiny bit more and I quickly froze.

"Shayde," I heard Felix whisper.

"What?" I snapped, and let out a small whimper as I felt their grips loosening slightly.

"Let me go," He said.

"You're insane!" I cried.

"Please.."

"No!"

He fell silent and I listened to the growing sound of groans and distant gunshots that could only be Darius.

"You need to save Zoey," Felix murmured, speaking up again.

"I need to save you too," I grunted.

"Either her or neither of us, Shayde!"

"Both of you will live," I assured him.

"We won't and you know it. Let me go."

"No.."

"Fine," He hissed as he started clawing at my hand with his and I felt him slip even further.

"Felix," I sobbed.

"Tell Dar that I love him, okay?" Felix whispered.

"You tell him," I cried back.

"You're a good person Shayde. But you can't save everyone, as much as you try. Look after everyone.."

"No," I moaned as I tried to strengthen my grip on him.

He gave me a sad smile and with his other hand, he released mine.

"Felix!" I screamed before my voice broke off in sobs. I watched as they all descended on him like they did Elena and I let out a moan.

With my last bit of strength, I lifted Zoey and hugged her closely as she sobbed into my chest.

I waited until Zoey's tears subsided before I pulled her away.

"Zo.." I whispered, "It's okay.. I won't let anything happen to you."

"Felix is dead," Zoey said in a voice so quiet, I had to lean in to hear her properly.

It wasn't a question, but I nodded in reply anyway.

"We need to go, okay?" I told her before shifting her off my lap and standing up, avoiding looking down the hole.

She took my hand and we stumbled our way to the field side of the building.

I looked over the side of the building and sighed in relief at the lack of zombies. Seems like they had all vanished after..

"I'm going to jump down, okay?" I told Zoey, "And you're gonna jump into my arms."

She gave a small nod and I stuck my legs over the side of the building. With my arms, I slowly lowered myself as far as I could go.

I looked down and frowned at the distance still left. Even with my arms extended and tall body, I still wasn't close.

With another sigh, I tensed my arms and then let go of the side of the building. I landed on my feet until my leg suddenly collapsed under me and I fell onto the hard concrete ground.

A sharp pain in my side left me gasping in agony. I looked down to see my smallest knife buried in my side, gushing blood all over the pavement.

I yelped and attempted to pull myself up quickly. Struggling to my feet, I braced myself against a wall.

"Hang on, Zo," I gasped, trying to even my heavy breathing.

"Shayde?" I heard a male voice call and an arm slipped around my waist.

"Dar, carry Zoey for me," I muttered weakly.

Darius gave me a concerned look and raised both hands to catch Zoey as she jumped. Carefully, he swung her up on his back and put up his hands again.

"Felix!" He called, "Let's go!"

He waited for a few seconds for his brother to appear until he glanced down at me.

"Where's my brother?" Darius asked, venom already filling his words.

I let out a gasp of pain as I tried to straighten up and shook my head at Darius.

"Shayde! Where is he?!"

"I'm sorry," I managed in a hoarse whisper.

We stared at each other for a long time before Zoey tugged on a tuft of Darius's hair.

"Let's go," She said, pointing across the friend.

Without a word, Darius scooped me into his arms and trudged along the field to the cover of the trees.

-

Uh, I'm thinking, one more chapter and the epilogue.. Wow. ^

Much love,

Lucie

xo