Chapter Nine - Escape To Hell

"I'm so sorry Shay," Darius murmured quietly, reaching over and gripping my hand. Ava had her head in her hands, shoulders shaking.

That's one of the different things about us. Losing Evie made me stronger, but it broke Ava.

Hunter had wrapped an arm around Ava and she leaned into him. I sighed and moved away heading towards the door to the cafe.

Then a female scream echoed through the air and I started running wildly.

"Shayde!" Hunter yelled angrily, which I ignored.

My gun was still clutched in one fist, which I almost dropped when I swung open the door. Almost instantly, hands wrapped around my neck and I swung my gun up and felt it impact loudly. I stared at the zombie which I had knocked away, trying to work out how a zombie had gotten in here. I didn't have enough time to think when another flung itself at me. I heard the ringing of a gunshot and it fell halfway.

"What the fuck?" Hunter cried.

I heard another scream, this time, sounding more high pitched.

"Zoey," I said under my breath staring around. "Come on!" I shouted at my group and bolted towards the sound.

Everywhere, limping corpses moaned and stretched their bony arms towards us, begging for their next meal. But we shot them down when they got too close.

We pulled to a stop at the side of the motel where Zoey sat high on a ledge, just out of reach for the crowd of zombies gathering on the ground. She saw us and a look of relief flashed through her eyes.

"Zoey!" I called, before slapping my hand over my mouth, realizing my mistake too late.

The zombies turned to the easier prey and started stalking towards us. It was like time froze before Hunter flew past me and swung the axe like a madman. Even with their rotten skin and probably weak bones, it was still hard to get through their neck. So Hunter settled for distracting while those who wielded guns picked them off one by one. I threw my gun at Ava and removed my knife from the makeshift holster. Then I threw myself at the closest zombie sinking my knife deep into the flesh of the forehead. I ripped it out and skipped out of the grasp of another flesh eater. I felt the presence of another behind me and took that as the threat so I spun and lashed out. All I managed was a cut across the chest. I was about to take another stab when I paused and stared into the ice blue eyes of a blonde zombie. Suddenly it hit me.

"You were bitten all along, weren't you, Candy.." I whispered.

She didn't reply, not that I expected her too, and lunged for my unprotected neck. Then I watched as a blade sailed through the air and Candy's head was no longer attached. So much for it being difficult.

"Thank you," I choked to Hunter noticing there were no more zombies. He gave me a weak nod and I threw up.

I felt warm hands lift my hair away and rub my back. I sighed and straightened.

Felix was holding Zoey closely to his body as he remained quiet and watched me.

I was about to open my mouth to speak when I spotted another zombie come around the corner. And another. And another.

"RUN!" I screamed, going directly towards my car. I heard the pounding of footsteps behind me, and the moans further back. Deciding to check, I turned and saw the biggest group of zombies I had seen since day one.

Reaching the car, I threw myself at the door and flung it open. Knowing the keys were already in the ignition, I started it and waited impatiently for the others to climb in. Hunter took the passenger side and Darius, Ava and Felix, still holding Zoey, fell in a pile in the back.