Chapter Thirteen - Legends

Ignoring Elena from earlier, I burst into the bedroom. Three sets of eyes narrowed on me and I flinched from the intensity.

"Have you seen Zoey?" I cried hysterically.

"No," Elena said, standing from the bed, "Michael will tell you more when he wakes."

Vet nodded and turned to me.

"The little girl is gone?" He muttered gruffly.

"Yes. Please, we need to find her.." I practically begged.

"Mina," Vet called as she appeared out of nowhere by his side, "Go."

Mina vanished again and I felt air as she rushed by me.

"All of you stay here," Vet ordered, "Mina and I will sweep the building."

"But-" I said weakly before I realised I was talking to air.

I turned to Elena who sighed.

"You obviously know something about them," I started, barely knowing what I was saying, "Who are they?"

"Legends," Elena answered simply, sweeping a long lock of her hair behind her ear.

"Oh?" I questioned, waiting for her to elaborate.

"I'm not sure how to explain them. I just know that, they trained to kill, survive, just about everything you can think of."

I stepped over to Elena and sat on the edge of the bed.

"The Legends are an army," She continued, "Ruthless and lethal. They're also one of the best kept secrets of all time."

"An army?" I repeated, thinking back to how Vet seemed to know Mina.

"Mhm," Elena nodded.

"If they're a secret.. How do you know about them?" I questioned.

"Michael," She gestured to his still form.

"He's part of it?"

"No, but he works closely with them."

"Why does Vet want answers from Michael?" I asked.

"Michael is a scientist. He worked with the creator of the 'Super Drug' quite closely. When Michael realised Dr. Redfern's plan, it was too late. But Michael knows more about it than anyone else and is possibly the only person who can create the cure. The Legends are trying to make that cure," Elena answered in a big rush.

"Okay, thank you," I nodded, starting to stand when Elena's hand shot out and latched onto my wrist.

"Don't trust them," She whispered hoarsely.

"Why?"

"They are evil."

I drew back in surprise at her sudden change of heart.

"Vet isn't. He helped you!" I said, shaking my arm gently, trying to loosen her grip.

"For his own gain. After he finds out what he needs to know, he'll probably slit both our throats," She looked at me with sad eyes, "Yours too."

"I don't believe you," I said, physically removing her hand.

"You should," She sighed falling back beside her husband.

I took that as my cue to leave.

**

I stared out the window aimlessly. It hadn't even clicked that it was night. Day eleven, day twelve. I didn't know anymore, and frankly, didn't care. All my thoughts were on Zoey. Why would she leave? Why did I even care so much? That was easy to answer. She looked like Evie. I let out a sigh and put my head in my hands.

I was deluding myself.

"Shay," I heard a female voice murmur.

I looked up to Ava's warm brown eyes.

"What exactly happened to Hunter?" She whispered, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. Her face was twisted in worry.

"I'm sorry. He couldn't have survived," I said sadly, gripping her hand back.

She drew in a sharp breath and looked me in the eyes.

"Why didn't you save him?" She said, disconnecting our hands.

I flinched from the venom in her voice and lowered my view to the floor.

"Why?" She echoed.

I was aware of her standing and walking away from me and I returned my head to my hands.

"I'm so sorry, Ava," I whispered, feeling tears leaking out of my eyes. Her footsteps never paused.

I remained that way for a while. Shoulders shaking, quiet sobs echoing out of me. I barely even heard someone approaching until they grabbed me and pulled me into their chest.

I wrapped my arms around him tightly and hid my face into his chest, still sobbing. Darius stroked my hair silently, allowing me to just let it out.

Slowly my sobs quietened, tears had finally stopped spilling out. Darius pulled back slightly to look at me. He reached up with one hand and caressed my cheek. I flinched away and he sighed.

"It's okay," He murmured, holding his hand by the side of my face.

"It's not," I breathed, not moving away from him.

"Trust me."

And then he leaned in carefully, waiting for my reaction. I closed my eyes and I felt the soft pressure of his lips on mine.

Too soon he pulled away from me, and out of my arms. I opened my mouth to protest but something in his expression stopped me. I froze as I heard footsteps outside in the hall. I slid into a defensive position, drawing my knife from my back pocket.

The door then flung open to reveal three figures. One tiny, with flowing blonde hair.

"Zoey," I whispered in relief.

-

!! Shayde + Darius <3 Took bloody long enough :3

And Zoey!

Poor Ava, and what's think about The Legends?

Sorry for shortness and emotionfilledness.

Much love,

Lucie

xo