Never Ready

Liliana's pov

"Hey." I smiled walking into the CT scan room where Jackson stood looking at Dianne's scans.

"Hey." He sighed. I could tell by the way that his brows furrowed that he was focused and stressed. While going in to operate on Dianne, he found that her cancer has spread which meant they have to try to come up with a whole new treatment plan to save her life.

"I missed you last night." I said walking over to him and handing him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks." He said as he took a sip. "I'm sorry. I didn't even leave the conference room last night. I was so busy trying to figure out what to do next with Dianne. We run into a problem every way we turn." He shook his head.

"If anyone can handle this case, it's you." I assured him. "How is she?"

"Her scans showed that now she has a met in her liver. Maggie's freaking out." He huffed.

"Understandable. This has to be scary for her." I nodded.

I understand how painful it is to see your mother sick and not be able to do anything. Even though Maggie isn't my favorite person, I sympathized with her.

"I know. I just wish that I could fix this." He sighed.

"You're doing everything that you can." I assured him. I stayed in the room for a little while before I had to leave for a consult. After my consult, I had a craniotomy surgery scheduled. Once that was complete I went to the lounge to grab some water.

"Tired?" Alex chuckled noticing me let out a yawn as he entered the lounge.

"Yes," I chuckled. "My child decided that she wanted to wake up at 4 am this morning." Since Jackson has been so busy with Dianne's case, I've primarily been taking care of things at the house. I would be lying if I said it hasn't been a little exhausting. Making sure that the house is clean, that Isabella is taken care of, and being the head of neuro is a lot, but I understand that Jackson is under a lot of stress right now and I'm trying to support him as much as possible. Maggie is his friend and it can't be easy being the person responsible for helping save her mother's life.

"Gotta love parenthood." He joked.

"Dianne fired me." Meredith huffed as she stormed into the room.

"What?" Alex said.

"She fired me from her case?" She said as she took a seat.

"Why?" I frowned taking a sip of my water.

"Because of Maggie. She keeps pushing her to have surgery after surgery. Dianne is sick, her body can't handle that. As her doctor, I told her that she needed to wait before we do the next surgery. Now I'm fired." She sighed in frustration.

"She's just trying to make Maggie happy. She knows how hard this is for her and she doesn't want to let her down." I shrugged. When my mom was sick, from the beginning she was told it was terminal but she underwent every type of treatment she could to give me some type of hope during that time. As a mom, you're always taking care of your kids even when you're the one who needs to be taken care of.

"But Maggie knows better. She's a doctor." Meredith says.

"Right now she's a child who scared out of her mind." I shrugged. She's gonna grasp for any treatment plan or surgery out there if it gives her the slightest bit of hope and there's nothing you can do to change her mind. All you can do is be there for her."

"When did you become a shrink." Alex joked.

"I'm a mom now. I fix problems." I smirked.

I left to complete my last surgery of the day and once I finished I changed out my scrubs. Jackson was still in surgery with Dianne, so I got Isabella from daycare and went home.