Innovation

Liliana's pov

It has been weeks since an innovation contest started at Grey Sloan and all of the surgeons have been working around the clock in an effort to be chosen as one of the winners.

Even though Isabella has been sleeping well through the night I've still been up doing research and working on my project. I was exhausted but it was a good distraction from the issues that Jackson and I've been having.

Things with us are cordial, but we haven't worked through any of our problems. It felt like we were stuck in this weird place in our marriage. I still wasn't sure how to fix it or if we even could.

"I know it's early baby girl," I said as I picked Isabella up out of her crib while she whined. "Mommy's tired too." I sighed.

Of course with the contest, I've been getting to the hospital super early which has thrown Isabella's schedule off slightly. I took her to the bathroom and bathed her before getting us both ready and leaving for work.

Once I dropped her off at daycare I meant with DeLuca and Sam Bello in the lab. They are both assisting me with my project.

After a few hours, I had to go to the lobby where all of the attendings are meeting because April is supposed to post the official rules for the contest this morning.

"Alright, so is this maybe online or something?" Jackson asked as we all stood there waiting for April to arrive. She was nowhere to be found and it was past the time that she was supposed to be here.

"No, she should be here with the rules right now." Richard shook his head.

"Kepner's MIA?" Mer asked as she joined all of us.

"Yeah, and Bailey's still out on vacation," Owen said.

"Bailey and vacation. Sounds weird." Alex said.

"I just wish there were dates. You know? Deadlines, bylaws. Guidelines are nice." Maggie said making me mentally roll my eyes from the irritating sound of her voice.

"You put her in charge of this contest. You need to talk to her." I said turning my attention to Richard. "I've got five viability studies going. I need to know if I should start making panic-based decisions." This contest was stressful and it had everyone a little on edge.

"Five? I don't even have one." Alex frowned turning his attention to me.

"You don't?" Meredith questioned.

"What's yours?" He asked her.

"Shut up." Mer scoffed.

"I mean do you guys want to know what you're gonna lose to, or you want to be surprised?" Jackson said smugly. "Aerosolized stem cells that provide rapid tissue coverage and epidermal regeneration without any grafting." He said gaining all of our attention.

"Spray on skin?" Mer frowned in surprise.

"That's spray on skin ladies and gentlemen." He smirked. "Finally." Jackson clapped as we saw April walking over to us. It looked like she had just woken up or was hungover or both. She had on a hoodie covering her head and a pair of sunglasses. She quickly stapled the rules to the board before handing us each our own copy without uttering a word.

We all read over them, curious about the guidelines that she had set.

"We have to write a paper?" Alex scoffed.

"In three days?" Owen frowned.

"MLA or APA style?" Maggie asked.

"How many people get in?" Mer asked.