Chapter 74

"How about this?" He took one more step towards me and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "If you can defeat Lilliana in a sparring match, then Gray is all yours. If not, then I hope your loss makes you realize just how powerful our enemies really are, and how we shouldn't take them for granted."

. . . .

"Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?"

I folded my arms, and glared at him with all the animosity I could muster. . . and then some.

"Very much so, Lucien. Better yet, once I'm finished, how about we have a turn? It won't take long, I promise you that."

Marley's POV

Deimos withdrew not long afterward, and without another word said, Elliot took one last look at me before leaving as well. Lilliana didn't seem to know what to do, so she stayed close to me, not really saying a word. Despite the parting of Deimos and Elliot, her Aura and emotions remained, agitating all the wolves in the surrounding area. It is known that a Leader's emotions can affect their people, but Moonshine's current reaction to their Luna went way past that.

Upon seeing this, I decided to gather up my courage and go look for Elliot. Lilliana silently trailed behind me, like a disciplined pup obediently following after its mother. At one point I stopped and told her my intentions.

"So if I do find her, I don't think she'll want to see you." I tried to be careful with my words, which was weird because she was a powerful wolf that was dozens of centuries older than I was. Yet her downtrodden expression left me feeling empathetic. 

"U-umm", she stumbled at first. "Could you tell Elliot that I won't. . .  disrespect her by holding back? I'll try my best. . to give her the fight that she wants. . ." She trailed off. I nodded at her, before sending her on her way. 

"Now then", I tried to determine Elliot's location via her Aura, but unlike before, her Aura wasn't that easy to pinpoint.

Finally, after asking around and tracking her by her scent, I found where she had run off to.

The clearing where she had gone berserk. Her little quarantine zone.

The area was still sloppily fenced, with pieces of cloth and metal barring wolves from entry. I took a deep breath, and tried to clear my mind stepped over the loose barrier, and proceeded to head into the area.

"This area's barred off for a reason, you know", I barely took one step in the zone and was already face to face with the she-wolf I was looking for. "Elliot. . . I wanted to say-"

She placed a finger on my lips. Once she was certain that I wasn't going to continue, she lowered her hand and gestured for me to follow her.

So I did, letting her lead me safely through the eroded woods. We finally stopped near a tent, where two logs laid. She had started a fire in between the logs, and it cast an orange hue on the landscape nearby. Elliot sat down on one of the logs, then pointed at the other. I slowly sat down on the log and watched her throw more sticks into the flame. It glowed brighter for a while, shooting several embers upwards.

"Today's been stressful, hasn't it?"

Elliot placed her arms over her head and stretched. "You're here to explain?" She asked, but didn't give me the time to respond. "I understand. Even I had thought about going to Lilliana to heal Gray. It's not your fault." She spoke calmly, which was odd. Her earlier aura seemed almost like a distant memory. Despite this, however, there was an unsettling feeling in the air. It felt like her calm expression was actually the suppression of her real emotions. This realization made me hyperaware of her every movement, every change of expression.