Chapter 71

vote/comment

Deimos' POV

"My ends. . ." Elliot murmured to herself, as she held a few of her locks in her hands. We had both fallen into a prolonged silence since our prior conversation, so her sudden words seemed to come out of nowhere. I looked down at her, and observed her hair myself. Elliot felt my gaze on her, and looked she up at me, before looking back down at her hair. "Look", she raised her hair near my face, and I reluctantly observed her darkened ends.

"See?"

The ends of her hair did seem darker than the rest of her hair, but it didn't seem that significant to me. "It looks alright to me", I replied, and she hummed, before gazing back down to her hair. As we fell back to our usual silence, my eyes remained on her as she pondered on her little dilemma. My mind slowly drifted, and I found myself absentmindedly gazing at her form.

Her wolf ears moved in response to the slightest sound, seemingly on their own. They were as red as the hair that was almost as long as she was tall. The rich hair was brighter than blood, almost as bright molten metal.

Added to her single horn, and her glowing red eyes, the woman straddling my lap looked like a mystical creature. . . one that was boldly revealing itself to the world.

I still couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or not.

My head was suddenly grabbed before it was tilted away from Elliot's form. "W-why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, and the tone of her voice I could tell that her cheeks were reddening by the second. "Is there something on my face?" She asked, before wiping her cheeks with the back of her hands. I shook my head, before removing her hands from her face and setting them on her sides. "You're fine. What? Can't I stare at you?"

She frowned, before folding her arms. "Not in the way that you do."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, and she quickly raised an index finger at me. "That overanalyzing, cold and calculating gaze. I-It makes me feel weird."

"Fine. I'll never stare at you again."

"Deimos. . . " She whined, and I folded my arms. "Anyways."

I pointed at the group of werewolves that had begun to congregating near the edge of the Moonshine territory.

"It seems like your people are quite interested in you at the moment."

With a frown, Elliot turned around. . . then she paled.

"Oh no", she whispered, before quickly standing up. "I haven't told them yet."

"What? That you're not killing the sick?"

"We weren't. . . well- yes we were going to. . . B-but that's not the point."

She bit her lip as she gazed at the crowd. "They'll probably be a handful", she murmured, before looking down at me. "Well then, don't keep them waiting."

"Aren't you coming?"

Her question surprised me. "Is that an order?" I asked. She pouted, before grabbing my arm. "Come on! Please?" She whined. I reluctantly agreed, much to her delight. She then grabbed my hand, and began dragging me towards Moonshine's edge. "Luna", one of the wolves said, before bowing his head. "We have something we want to share with you", he said, surprising Elliot.

"Oh, well. . . I wanted to say something too, but you could go ahead."

The male nodded, before looking at his fellow pack mates. "A group of us have found a way to protect our sick loved ones. It's a decision that I made on our own, so we're coming to you for your approval."

I quickly looked down at Elliot, just in time to see her change in expression. Her childish and carefree expression disappeared, and was replaced with a firm and serious one. The change wasn't a natural one, and it didn't seem like she was in full control of it. Her change in expression was only part of it however.

I secretly observed her interactions, and took note of every change in her that I saw. It seemed like her more childish attitude was one that was reserved for the people closest to her, like Marley and I. When it came to business, her usual stutter is reduced and she became more serious, based on the severity of the subject.

When it came to her enemies, however. . .

"What's this decision you made?" Elliot asked. A woman came forward, and nodded to us.

"We would like to take the place of our ill loved ones."

I understood almost immediately and looked to Elliot to see her reaction. She closed her eyes, before speaking. "You want to sacrifice yourselves. . . so that your sick loved ones could live?"

"We must surely eat more than they do. My father hasn't even eaten in days. This would definitely be more effective", The woman explained, yet tried not to look directly at my mate. Elliot remained still and didn't say anything for quite some time. Then, without warning, her expression changed.

She scratched the back of her head, before smiling nervously.

"I-I guess I should have spoken first."

She took that time to explain what was said in the meeting. In the end, relief was the only expression on their faces.