Chapter 4

I close the door to my apartment and lean against it as I'm sliding down, holding the doorknob to steady myself, until I am sitting on the floor.

Today was, a lot, to say the least.

I pictured the day going by slowly, and I intended to have a conversation with Thierry about our future. But it couldn't have gone any farther away from that... Thierry is now angry with me, and I have a very strange feeling about this new guy, Jesse.

Why did he know the place when it was his first day, why did he show up when Thierry and I were in some corner alone, how does he know Mark, why did he walk away so angrily after we shared... a moment? I don't even know what we shared, but it wasn't nothing.

My head hurts from thinking too much, so I decide to get up and make some dinner. I like my place, it's not too big, it is cozy. I love the high ceilings and large windows, they really brighten the entire living room up. I believe that everyone should have a nice place to go home to at the end of the day. I'll talk to Sigrid tomorrow about coming up with a plan to build more houses in the nearby future for the Netherlands.

As I grab the tomatoes from the fridge to whip up some spaghetti, my phone rings. I'm a bit thrown off by it since I'm not really expecting anyone to call.

The number is blocked. Of course.

I lay the phone back down on the counter, I'm not one to pick up random blocked numbers.

But what if...

I pick up the phone anyways.

'Hello?'

.... nothing.

'Who is this?' I ask.

'What are you doing to me...?'

I don't recognize the voice immediately, it is deep and rough. As if coming from someone who has just smoked an entire pack of cigarettes.

'What do you mean? Who is this?' I'm getting a bit anxious, I have no idea who would be calling me, and I have no idea what this person is talking about.

The person on the other end of the line lets out a small chuckle.

'You know who it is, Rob.'

Then it hits me.

'Jesse?'

The call ends...

What the hell... Was that really Jesse? I didn't recognize his voice. But then again I've only heard him say less than 10 words total. I go on to make my pasta and try not to think about it.

***

Well, that worked out well...

It is 8.15 AM, I'm on my way to The Hague as I haven't been able to stop thinking about that phone call. I haven't been able to stop thinking about, him.

I turned into the parking lot as I'm being shaken out of my thoughts of Jesse, by the mere sight of him. I hit the brakes as I nearly hit that gorgeous body of his. He stops dead in his tracks, but he doesn't seem phased by the encounter one bit. He looks to his side, where my car is, and slowly drags his eyes from the hood of my car to me, seated behind the steering wheel.

I'm frozen in my seat and I cannot seem to wave my hand in apology or roll down the window, nothing. I just sit there.

His eyes fill up with this dark ambiance, as the corner of his lips curls up into another smirk. Shit, it hits me straight in the gut every time he does that. He lifts his hand, placing two fingers against the side of his forehead and he gives me a small army salute, followed by a cheeky wink before he walks off into the building.

The second he enters the building and the doors close behind him I am able to breathe again.

What the fuck...

I don't have long to comprehend what just happened when I hear the ring of a bicycle bell.

Of course.

Mark waves at me while passing me by on his bike, making his way through the crowded parking lot to the bicycle storage. I fake a smile and wave back as I find a spot to park my car, get it together Rob!

I grab my briefcase from the backseat as I hear someone shouting my name. A familiar voice, finally.

'Hey there, sexy! How'd you sleep?'

Sigrid is parked a few spots over and walks up to me as we enter the building.

'Not that great actually, couldn't sleep. You?'

'Because of your thoughts, or, something else...?'

Sigrid pulls up her brows and I start laughing with her and shake my head. She does know how to make me feel better.

As we walk through the entry halls, I feel a large body swiftly pass by me. Thierry. I would recognize his large chest, his icy touch, and the smell of his stone-cold cologne everywhere.

Shit.

I want to ask Sigrid if she thinks he overheard our conversation, but I'm afraid I already know the answer to that.

Double shit.

Sigrid and I take our places in the chamber, Jesse is already seated in his. I squeeze out a; 'Morning', and look at him bent over some papers.

Jesse lays his pencil down, sits back in his chair, and turns his head towards me. He looks me up and down, slowly, vigorously, and starts cracking his knuckles. Without saying a word, he focuses his gaze on Mark taking the stand.

Is he angry with me? I mean I didn't hit him with my car right? And why is he so hot when he is looking so angry. So many emotions course through me as I try to focus on Mark as well.

Man, I really do have type huh...

Sigrid beside me whispers in my ear.

'What's crawled up his but?'

I struggle to hold back a laugh because I like this remark a lot better than her pointing out my obvious daddy issues. God, I love that woman, if only she knew.

 - Hey besties, hope ur just as invested in this love story as I am, cuz I wasn't planning on quitting anytime soon hehe

Lmk what you thought about chapter 4!! Are we already ready for some spice??

I'm starting chapter 5 right away!

XOXO Ur favorite Dutch girl