Chapter 14

The Titanic is lying at the bottom of the ocean and The Notebook fades away on a dusty shelf as my stomach turns and not the good kind. He steps away...

I look him in the eyes, as he does me, and I find no clearance in his. I'm sure mine are filled with dread and humiliation, however, he does nothing to nurture that. 

I'm torn between screaming at him and running away, so I just stand there in silence. 

That is when he grabs my face and kisses me. My back meets his door and I lose myself in his touch when his cell phone rings. 

We are broken apart, as he hangs his head and lays it in the nook of my neck. His hand is on the door near the other side of my face, and I feel weirdly calm, captive by his body. 

I feel his lips on my collar bone right before the vibrance of his voice. 

'You should go.'

That is when he walks away from me and picks up his phone. 

I feel like I'm being hit in the stomach by a sledgehammer, as I am unable to move. Why does he want me to go? He kissed me back. What did I do wrong?

Lost in confusion I feel a tear pricking my eye. Maybe I should go... 

I walk out the door and slam it shut. Every step I take hits harder and harder and it is not until I am in my car and close the door, that I can breathe again. 

I stare at my steering wheel, trying to comprehend what just happened. I start the engine but I can't seem to pull out of the driveway. I feel numb. 

It isn't till a full ten minutes later I finally find the courage to drive away. I think part of me held hope that he would rush out his front door and follow me, telling me he made a mistake. 

But he didn't. 

I'm halfway back to my apartment as I reach a stop sign. There's no traffic, but I stop anyway. I always do this. I always follow the rules and nothing good ever comes from it. But now, once, just once I didn't follow the rules, and the world around me came crashing down even harder. What was I thinking? 

Torn between impotence and sadness I start hitting my steering wheel. Tears following not long after, rolling down my cheeks. 

I feel as much of an idiot as I probably look. Why is this affecting me this much? I know rejection, I have experienced it a lot, even with Thierry in the beginning, but it never really seemed to hit me this hard. 

I'm being pulled out of my thought at the sound of a horn. I wave my hand in the rearview mirror and drive back home. 

I drag my legs upstairs and run myself a bath. I take a good sci-fi thriller book with me to read. I'm usually a sucker for romance, but I don't want anything to do with her tonight. 

I open the book and start reading, the first chapter takes me forever and when I am at the end of the second, I flip through the pages of the rest of the book and decide to put it away. I set the book on a small table next to my bathtub and grab my phone. 

Maybe some music will do me good. I swipe through a few playlists and put on some happy vibes list from Spotify. 

One song goes by, two, three as I grow sick and tired of it and turn it off. Frustration floods my mind as water does my head. I like the silence that comes from being underwater, if only it could last forever. 

I sit up again and wipe the water out of my eyes. I pick up my phone and figure it's time to give in. 

I dial the first number on speed-dial as I wait for him to pick up. He does so on the second ring, and I hear his deep voice calling his name through the small machine. 

'I need you.' 

I don't explain myself any further, and I don't have to. 

'I'm coming over.' 

I get out of the tub and put on a pair of sweatpants and an old black t-shirt. Once I'm toweling my hair, I hear the doorbell. 

The well-known feeling calms me down as I hang the towel over the bathtub to dry and walk towards the door. The main lock is still broken, as am I. 

Wow, as soon as I hear my own thought I want to punch my mind for even thinking that. I must have watched too much Ru Paul's lately for it to be this dramatic. 

I take the second lock off my door and open it. I make a mental note to call someone to come fix it tomorrow, I don't want to wait around for him to do so. I can take care of myself. 

Once the door is open, the man on the other side of it sees my expression and he opens his arms to which I fall into. 

The hug is nice and tight, and I feel a little better as I feel his ice running through my veins again. Cold, but familiar. 

About sums it up

About sums it up

- Chapter 14 darlings! I'm sorry I left you hanging for so long after THE kiss, I was working on a surprise for you! 

Go and check out my TikTok account to find out what it is ;)

xoxodutchgirl0

XOXO Your favorite Dutch girl