Chapter 10

Jesse Klaver POV

I come home and walk to the fridge immediately. 

I need something stronger than a glass of wine. I open the fridge door and grab a special brownie. It's not much, but it'll do for now. 

As soon as I've calmed down a bit, I go to my home office to make a few phone calls. I reach for my desk drawer and grab a pencil. I try to write down a few notes but it's all scribbled and imperfect. 

Damn it, this bandage is already getting in my way. 

I go to rip it off, as I'm being reminded by his touch when wrapping my hand. I'm not sure why he did that, I usually never take care of it after, and my knuckles always turn out just fine. 

Why does he keep doing that, keep being there, keep caring...

Something like that has never bothered me before or has stood in my of getting what I want, but with him it's different. I don't know what it is, but it is extremely annoying. 

And it is messing with my plans. 

I look at my phone, there it is. Seven missed calls. 

I dial the number back, and already know what is coming. 

'... Where the hell were you, Jesse?!'

I lean my elbow on top of my desk and pull my hand through my hair before I start rubbing my forehead. 

'Listen Mark, I-'

'No, this was the only invite I could get you, you know that...'

'There was an emergency-'

'I don't care even if your grandma died, this was your only shot, you made me look like an ass, they are not happy with you...'

'Get me another meeting, Mark.'

'I can't Jesse, my hands are tied, I told you that, you're on your own now.'

The call ends...

I close my eyes as I pinch the bridge of my nose. 

'Fucking asshole!' I yell into nothingness as I throw my phone against the wall, hard. 

I pace around my office and try to contain my anger. It has gotten the best of me in the past, but I won't let that happen again. I come to a halt and stand there as I crack my neck to the left, and to the right. 

I take both hands and place them at the bottom of the back of my head as I lean into them and look at the ceiling. That is when the idea hits me. I don't have to go higher, I need to go lower, below the belt. 

I grab my burner phone and call him. 

Thierry. 

He picks up on the fourth ring. 

'Hello?'

'If you want to have a job tomorrow, meet me on the roof at 07.30.'

'Who is thi-'

I hang up the phone before he can finish that question. I cannot listen to that man any longer. 

Although I'm remarkably pleased theoretically, with this new addition to my plan, I can't help but feel this nasty sting deep in my stomach. What the hell is that about?

I grab a bottle of my favorite tequila as I go to numb it out. I pass out on the couch not soon after. 

***

My alarm rings at 06.30 am, but I've already been awake for a few hours. I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to go back to sleep. A few random undesired thoughts wandering my mind followed by one of my nightmares.