Chapter 9

Jesse's stare in my eyes is cut short by a sound coming from my phone in the other room. It must be fully charged again. 

'Saved by the bell.'

I wonder what he means by that. Did he want to be saved? 

I'm not so sure I wanted to be... 

Wait, no, Rob, he's a colleague. He's my colleague. 

I shake off the intrusive thought. Yet I'm not so sure it was a thought, more than an actual continuous feeling. What is this man doing to me? 

I can't seem to think straight whenever he is near me. Physically or in my mind. Which he doesn't leave very often, might I add. 

He gets up and walks toward the door. He stands still in front of it, as he presses his hand against the doorframe. The lock is broken, that's for sure, but I have a double one that'll keep me safe for tonight. I'll replace it tomorrow.

As if our minds are intertwined he responds to me. 

'Don't worry about it, I'll fix it.' He says as he taps two fingers on the wood. 

He walks out the door and turns around, focusing his gaze on me. 

I feel it crushing me instantly in my stomach when he does that. I hate it. But I can't seem to get enough of it either. 

He bites down softly on his bright red bottom lip, as he studies my face carefully. Watching me from underneath his perfectly groomed eyebrows. 

What he does next catches me by complete surprise. 

He brings up his large unbeaten hand to my face and caresses his fingertips along my jawline before fully resting it delicately on my cheek. 

I immediately feel that spark, that electricity, igniting as the fire starts coursing through my veins. 

His touch feels incredible. 

I take a deep breath in as I close my eyes and I don't even notice when I lean my cheek into the exceptionally gentle palm of his hand. There is that magnetic pull again. I'm drawn to him, physically, emotionally, so deeply, I feel an ache when he is not around. 

'Are you going to be okay?' He says as he pulls me out of my thoughts. 

I open my eyes and take a good look at him, his thick curls hang loosely on top of his head, casting a mesmerizing pattern of small shadow strokes over his face. 

Breathtaking

'I'll be okay.' 

I say to him. And I will be, as for the reason he is proposing the question...

He tenses his jaw tightly for a second as he releases my face, separating his skin from mine. I feel an instant ache, but it isn't only mine. I feel his as well. A swift look of confusion... anguish, washes over his face, leaving as fast as it came. 

He nods once as he turns to walk away. Every step he takes, I'm getting colder and colder, until there is nothing left but hollowness. 

I walk back inside and lock the door, or what is left of it. I go to turn off the lights and realize I hadn't turned them on yet. 

He does that to me, I lose complete sense of reality and my surroundings whenever he is close. 

I get some of my papers ready for tomorrow and place them on my coffee table near my sketchbook and pencils. I decide to go to bed and grab my phone from the charger. Maybe I should give Sigrid a call about my speech tomorrow. Thierry brought up the idea to pass a law that states an abortion can only be executed after a minimum amount of days after conception. 

Horseshit.  

I told him it's a terrible idea, and he should keep politics out of women's bodies, but he didn't want to listen. And he's the one that 'likes' women? Please

I unlock my phone as I brush my teeth, and open up the phone app. That is when I'm confronted by the twentieth unexpected thing this day. 

A seventeen-minute-long call to Jesse.

When did this happen?

I try to reconcile the events of the evening and piece everything together into a feasible timeline. 

This happened around the time Thierry knocked at my door... I must have dialed Jesse's number when I dropped my phone. 

So many questions are answered, but they don't weigh out the number of new ones that have developed. 

Why didn't he hang up as soon as he realized it wasn't an active call? Why did he come over so quickly? Why didn't he just call the police if he thought I was in danger? ... How did he know where I lived?

My head is spinning with questions and it is still a little fuzzy from the absence of his touch. 

I need a good night's sleep... 

*** 

When I wake up, the sun is shining through my window and I hear Huffie purring next to me. She must be really hungry, she usually never jumps on my bed like that. 

Shit. 

I jump straight out of bed as I already know I'm late... I look at my phone, 08.03... Damn it! I forgot to set my alarm. 

I hastily jump into the shower as I brush my teeth at the same time. I put on the first suit I see and give Huffie a big bowl of food as I grab my papers from the coffee table and run out of the door at 08.13. 

I may have speeded a little as I pull up fifteen minutes later into the parking lot. I should really get myself one of those nifty bikes like Mark. Smart man. 

I jump out of my car, my papers in my hand. I couldn't find my briefcase this morning, and I didn't have time to search for it. I rush inside and pass multiple people, who are really in my way. Urghhh... Can this day start off any worse? I didn't even have time to prepare my speech with Sigrid. I told her I'd be early, but well, we both know that didn't work out. 

I move past a few more without impact as I almost reach the doors of the chamber, yes!

Then, out of nowhere someone crosses my path and before I can respond we bump into each other... My papers litter the floor, as his coffee is spilled all over them. 

- Chapter 9 besties!!! 

I only have one chapter for you, sorry babes, busy day! :(

I hope you enjoyed it anyway...

XOXO Your favorite Dutch girl