Argument

In this one, Peter is adopted by Tony after May died.

Peter was walking from school. More like limping. Happy was busy today with a security meeting, which the boy was thankful for. If the man would see Peter there would be no way to not tell dad. Thinking 'dad' made him smile a bit. It was like a layer of warmth formed around him. Soon that was taken over by a sharp pain in his ribs when he exhaled too quickly. Today the road to the tower felt at least 5 times longer. The pain in his ribs was worsening with every inhale and exhale and for some reason, the sun had chosen today to be annoyingly burning.

After a few millennia, sweaty, irritated, and in pain, Peter walked into the tower. Not paying any attention to the strange looks he was getting, the boy dragged himself into the elevator.

"Looks like the sun has won today!" announced Tony with a smile when he saw Peter, who just stared at the man with narrowed eyes, "Are you alright Pete?" he asked half laughing.

"I'm fine!" the boy spat out. At that Tony's expression changed to concern. Peter never talked like that. The boy stormed out in the direction of his room followed by his dad's eyes.

"Friday, is Peter okey?" his voice was worried.

"No. He seems to have three broken ribs and multiple bruises. He is also irritated." After the 2nd sentence, Tony was already on his way to Peter's room.

When he entered the boy had just sat down on his bed, but as soon as he saw the man he got up. Pain shot through his ribcage, but Peter stopped his hand from racing up.

"Pete, who broke your ribs?" demanded the man.

The boy's head shot up and his brain was working on a cover story: "um- during lunchbreak Karen told me about an um robbery near my school, so – so I quickly snuck out and took them down, um but one of them was really strong and broke my ribs?" the attempt not to make it sound like a question failed.

"Really now? Couse, both the tracker on your suit and the tracker in your watch say that you stayed in school until it was over, which would mean that someone in school hurt you, Peter," stated the man.

"And so what," Peter was getting angrier. He understood that Tony was just trying to protect him, but right now he didn't understand why couldn't the man just leave him alone, "it was one time and I'm okey!"

"You have three broken ribs! Obviously, you're not okey!" Tony also was losing his tamper, "And don't tell me this was the first time, I know when you come home with a broken nose or beaten up after school!" his voice was getting louder.

"You know what, You're right!" the boy was also yelling, "It's not the first time! But I can take it!" he spat out the last sentence word by word, like it was something disgusting in his mouth, "If I wouldn't someone else would have to!"

"You can just give me a name and I will deal with it!" interrupted Tony.

"Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe there are some things I can deal with myself? All the trackers everywhere, you can't let me out of your sight for a second! I am not a baby!" all the irritation and all the pain was making his thinking foggy, "Nobody else walks around with a tracker like a dog, who can get lost any minute now! Do you think that means that their parents don't love them? Has it ever came to your mind that maybe I am capable enough to take care of a school bully!" Peter wanted to keep going.

"I need to protect you, you are my responsibility, and when you do stupid things like letting yourself be beaten up, I need to stop you! I'm your dad!" the man's voice was in control, but loud.

"No you're not!" the boy regrated the words even before they came out of his mouth.  Tony's expression changed to a painful one but soon was masked. But he kept going, "You're just an old man, who thinks that he can make up for everything by putting an expensive tracker on a kid. I don't need you nor want you to be my dad!" the last word came out mockingly. As soon as he realized what he said Peter didn't know what else to do, so he ran out of the room, slamming the door.

Tony was left standing in the middle of the room. It hurt. It hurt so much. Peter really hated him now. The man had just wanted the best for his kid. Did he really mess up this bad? Slowly he sat down on the bed. His hands were trembling and he felt a tear run down his cheek, soon to be accompanied by many more. He hid his face in his palms. The man's shoulders were shaking a bit.

He must have done something wrong, Tony thought to himself. Something very wrong. Something to make Peter despise him. Peter was right, he had been too overbearing. He needed to apologize. The man started forcing himself to take deep breaths in and out. And every breath became slower more even and after a while, he could think clearly.

Tony's first instinct was to ask Friday where Pete was and what was he doing. But he didn't. The man walked out of the room looking for the boy. Loud sobs were heard from the living room and again he felt guilty.

The boy was curled up on the couch. The position hurt his ribs a lot, but he thought he deserved it. When Tony walked in Peter rose his head. His eyes were red and puffy. The man sat next to him.

"I'm sorry, I – I di-didn't mean wha-what I said, I – it just c – came out, I'm sorry," the boy said trying to breathe through the sobs.

"It's okey, Pete, I forgive you..." his voice was soothing.

"N – no, it's n – not, I hurt you and I'm s – sorry, b- but if you hate me now, I-I under- understand," Peter wanted to lean forward and be hugged by the man, but he sat perfectly still.

"Peter, it's okey," he said and pulled the boy in for a hug, "I know, that I might be overprotective sometimes, and I'm not doing anything because I think that you're incapable. I only want to protect you. From now on I will only look at the trackers if you go missing for 24 hours. How does that sound?"

The boy smiled weakly even though tears were still flowing down his face: "Great," The man put his hand over Peter making his head contact Tony's chest. The boy started crying again, mostly of relief.

The man sighed and rubbed Peter's back gently. After a few minutes, the boy did manage to stop sobbing. Tony pulled him back a bit: "Let's get those ribs checked out. Alright?" The boy nodded.