A new job

Peter walked into the two-bedroom apartment: "Hi, dad!" he shouted to make sure his father was home.

"Hi, Pete!" Tony shouted back. As always, he was bending over the kitchen table, his fingers moving around the keyboard writing a code. Suddenly he turned, which was strange since when he was working the man usually didn't take breaks till the work was done, "There's something I need to tell you."

"Yeah, what is it?" The boy was taking his shoes off.

"I got a new job offer, a really good one," Tony said but for some reason, he didn't sound totally excited.

"That's great, dad!" Peter walked forward and hugged him.

"Yeah, it's in Finland," The man looked down, "I'll have to move... if you're not okey with it tell me, it's not a decision I'll make alone."

"Of course, I'm okey with it, how could I not be, you have worked so hard for us, Finland is nice, I heard, there are beautiful mountains, we could go skiing!" Peter sounded excited, "Then again I don't really want to leave my school."

"You aren't going to move with me, I couldn't ask that of you. You have all your life here, you worked so hard to get in your school, I'll move alone, but we will still see each other, I'll fly here every weekend and in summer and holidays you can visit!" Tony rushed out, not wanting to stay on any part for too long, wanting to explain it.

"You're right, I'm happy for you," and Peter was, but he wasn't. When Tony was 17, he had gotten a girl pregnant, when his father had found out, he threw Tony out and the girl, said she couldn't take care of a kid, so Tony was left alone to take care of his son. It was a bumpy ride. White the brain of his Tony quickly was hired. Still, the money he made wasn't enough to take care of a kid. Some nights he would get drunk, not show up for work, get fired, and again. Soon enough the man realized that he wouldn't be able to take care of Peter like this and stopped drinking. Now jobs lasted longer and ended only for better ones. Even so, the man was under constant stress, but he made it work. There was no chance he wouldn't. Tony had worked every day, studied every evening. This was great. They needed the money. But he didn't want him to leave. Who would be here to greet him after school, to help him with his homework? Grow up! The boy got angry at himself. This is a great opportunity! "I love you, dad!"

"I love you too!" The man smiled.

"So, when are you leaving?" They pulled back from the hug.

"Why? Can't wait to throw a party?" Tony chuckled, "September the 1st."

"Yes, I am gonna throw a party, which you can only enter in Star Wars costumes, and we will build supper cool Legos and play board games! I bet everybody from the school will want to come!" Peter said sarcastically, "also, this means we get to spend the whole summer together!"

"Yep!" Tony ruffled his son's hair.

And so, they did. Ate more ice cream than they thought to be possible and took long walks, played card games, and told jokes, made little robots, and codded funny websites and games. At the end of the summer, Peter waved goodbye to Tony as the man made his way into the plane. As promised every holiday the Teen got to visit, go hiking, and skiing.