15. No one's fault

Chapter 15

No one’s fault

I wake up without the slightest pain in my heart. It’s like I have slept on a healing carpet and I can’t remember when I didn’t feel my heart at all. I’m just so surprised that I let my hand drift up to my chest. I open my eyes in horror when I feel another hand on that exact spot.

I slam down on it quickly despite the calming tingles erupting from it and wrestle down the unknown person. I’m crouching over the intruder with my elbow successfully cutting the air supply. The glowing Spirit under me chokes and is unable to move under my grip. The room is dark and he is so gorgeous. His hair is the purest white and his eyes are sparkling and his skin… He’s like a light bulb!

“What the hell!” I burst out annoyed that his visit before I fell asleep wasn’t a dream.

I huff angrily and let him go. His angelic face is covered in a huge purple bruise and my fingers trails over his poor cheek in sorrow. I did this. Warm shivers plants through my body as I touch him and I have to fight against the urge to lean down and kiss his perfect lips. His eyes are staring back at me with a shocked expression. I fight against my traitorous feelings and sink down onto the bed again.

My heart is slowly starting to ache again and I massage my chest at the unwelcomed feeling. At least I got to feel healthy for a few seconds before I ruined it.

“I wanted you to rest peacefully,” he mumbles.

“Don’t you know that Ninjan wolves are dangerous?” I snort back at him. “I could have killed you. It doesn’t matter how much I dislike Wolf Spirits, I still don’t want the death of my mate on my conscious.”

Mate. Oh dear, I did beg for my mate to come to me last night! I was heard and then rude enough to punch him on the face. I start shaking at the thought. I was not taught to use violence without good reason. This Spirit means no harm and I still crossed that line twice!

“Don’t worry about it,” he whispers. “Call me Jupiter, that’s my name.”

I almost jump him again for talking but I stop my anger before I make a third mistake.

“I don’t want a Spirit mate!” I complain and bury my face in the crouch of his neck.

Damn this feels good. I snuggle closer to him and keep rubbing against him for comfort. I can’t feel my heart when I touch him. It is still night so I close my eyes to fall back into sleep. I can be angry tomorrow instead. For now I like holding him. Holding him close doesn’t mean that I like what he is. Not liking what he is doesn’t mean that I reject him. Rejecting your mate is what I consider to be a deadly sin.

“I’m glad,” Jupiter says and brings his arm around me.

“Don’t say you can read my thoughts!” I groan. I like my privacy. It’s no one’s business what I think unless I decide to actually tell them, Wolf Spirit or not. That makes me want to strangle him for listening in.

“I can’t tune it out,” he answers me desperately. “Please don’t beat me up; Kate will be so very sad when she notice it.”

That calms me down a bit. My lovely sister hates violence. She also seems to love the Spirits. She’ll never forgive me! This is a hopeless situation. I might as well die right now instead. This isn’t happening! People just need to mention the Wolf Spirits to wake up my dislike towards them and here I am snuggling one.

Meeting your mate is supposed to be the most wonderful thing. I just didn’t expect to feel this damn affection so strong! I mean, everyone talk about lust and need but it really isn’t anywhere near the warm feelings he wakes up inside of me. It’s like chocolate and ice cream and fluffy pillows. Not to mention that he’s like a drug and clouds over my pain somehow.