18. Finding my place

Chapter 18

Finding my place

Kate’s POV

Adam is working a lot. I can’t blame him since he has had the main responsibility for the Ninjan Pack while Princess is focusing to make the Northwall Pack decent. Everyone seems to be working all the time and even Mary is busy with her gardens.

I miss having something to do. I miss having a role in the community. My whole life has changed since I got here, even my sleeping habits! I do love Adam’s bed, but only because it comes with him in it.

I miss working with herbs and that’s something that’s growing stronger within me for every day that passes. Adam takes me to the lake every night; he’s just awesome like that. I’m addicted to the feel of water to help me relax. It’s good that he likes our nightly swims. I really like to be out there, it makes me feel closer to the Spirits.

My welcome home party is tonight and I feel a bit nervous about meeting the pack. Princess ordered them all to keep their distance from me and that was amazingly nice of her. My time is up and I wonder how a life socializing will look like. I always tried to avoid other people up to this point in my life. I’m scared so to say. What if they won’t like me?

I put a big orange flower in my hair since the colour goes well with my yellow dress. The small detail makes me feel calm and I close my eyes for a few seconds to chant a few words to the Wolf Spirits for strength.

Most people here are using uniforms but I don’t feel comfortable wearing that. I prefer my loose hanging dresses. It’s a bit cold, but I can always wear a sweater. I like feeling the breeze on my bare arms and legs though. I don’t want to feel tied up; it feels like I am choking then.

I keep seeing memories of my old life while I walk through the village. Not much has changed through the years and I miss the carefree little girl I once was. I miss having energy. It’s good that I’m out walking; I really want to get more fit. I can’t even be angry at myself for allowing myself to get into this state.

I finally reach my destination and I drop down to the ground for a quick rest. The house has a nice aura to it and the garden looks fantastic. The Wolf Spirits are whispering in my ears and the smell of the hundreds of flowers hits me. This is what I came for. The flowers growing in this garden are all herbs. This is where I will begin learning the Ninjan medicine.

“Little One,” I hear an old voice cheerfully greet me. “Why don’t you join me for some lemonade?”

I nod towards the old man and slowly get up on my feet again. My knees almost give out under me but I clench my teeth and force myself to stand steady.

“Alpha Bear,” I answer him quietly and gesture at the spectacular garden. “I came to learn about these.”

“These?” he hums and turns around to walk over to the table on his porch.

Some red lemonade is waiting in two glasses like he was expecting me. He’s walking slowly over the black wooden porch floor and I have no trouble keeping up with him. I bow my head in respect and it amuses him somewhat.

“I love herbs, Alpha Bear,” I tell him honestly. “You have a fantastic garden and I wish to learn all about it. You see I knew every plant on Rosalea but the greenery and I are strangers here.”

I can’t hold back my excitement while talking about my precious skill. My old Alpha sips on his lemonade and smiles for himself like he didn’t hear me. I quickly taste the drink and am surprised when it easily goes down through my throat without the feeling to throw up.