9. Mothers' POV

Chapter 9

 Mothers’ POV

Susan’s POV

Freya hasn’t been home for two days. 

I was worried the first day when she didn’t show up for dinner. John told me to relax and that she’s probably sulking somewhere. It made my heart cry. Poor Freya must be so devastated by their decision that she needs some time for herself. It is a bit unfair and I will tell Alpha Eon where they should shove that decision if it’s making my little girl unhappy. I will even follow Freya where she wants to go just to make sure she’s well.

I was more worried when she didn’t show up yesterday again. I forced John to go out and look for her today. Freya hides sometimes and can be gone for days, but it was a while ago since the last time. I am waiting impatiently while the sun sets high in the sky. John’s been out for hours now. I know other people joined the search as well. No one knows the Island as good as Freya. She won’t be found unless she wants to be found.

I didn’t give birth to Freya, but she’s my daughter just as much as Kara. I love all my children equally despite their flaws. Sometimes I wonder what kind of children I would have if I had met my mate. I secretly long for the feeling of having a mate even if I am happily married to John.

John is a good husband, a great doctor and a good role model for our community.

“Doesn’t Freya want to come home?”

I look down at my little girl. She’s holding a bear tight to her chest and her eyes are big and teary. I’m about to answer her when John comes rushing into the house.

“She’s not on the Island!” he breaks out in a loud cry. He’s tearing his hair and I’ve never seen him so desperate before.

“Daddy, where’s Freya?” Kara asks and runs up to her father and throws her little arms around his legs so he stops pacing around.

“Daddy needs to go away for a little while,” John says looking pale.

“What are you rumbling about?” I say angered. “Go away? Where is Freya if she’s not here?”

“No daddy!” Kara cries loudly and wipes her tears on his jeans. “Don’t leave me!”

I tear Kara away from him and put her by the table so she won’t distract him anymore.

“We searched the whole Island. The only boat missing for days is that eremite’s and he packed up his cabin and left. They left three days ago!” 

The rage fills his eyes so they turn black and I take a step back in fright.

“Honey,” I say calmly. “Why don’t you let her go? She’s old enough and she wants to see the world. Who are we to keep her here like a prisoner?”

“You don’t understand!” he screams impatiently. “It’s already too late! I need to leave.”

He starts throwing his things down into a bag and I just stand there shocked while Kara is crying loudly by the table. John never argues. He has never lost his control before and now he wants to go after Freya like some mad lunatic. This is far from the calm man I married. 

He doesn’t say a word when he leaves our home. His eyes look haunted and I never felt so little before. Why can’t he see that he must to let her go?

I feel abandoned. He didn’t tell me when he will come home. Will he ever come home? I’m not his mate, he can easily forget about me and our children. He never gave me the chance to feel insecure before today. Maybe I’m overreacting?