3. Waving goodbye

Chapter 3

Waving goodbye

I have a secret.

The Wolf Spirits made my senses a lot stronger than wolves usually have. Not even Alpha’s are this strong. It’s my hearing, sight, smell, taste and feel. The senses got stronger the more I bonded with the Wolf Spirits. It’s natural that they do because the connection makes a wolf stronger. I gave up my ability to shift just to get stronger senses.

It has its bad and good sides. I can hear everything on the Island. I know where everyone is, what they are saying and it is not always pleasant to know. I don’t want to know what they are whispering behind my back.

My eating disorder is not a secret, so I don’t see why they avoid the subject when I’m near. They gossip about me often. It makes me want to work harder with my herbal skills and I leave them green with envy. I want to show everyone that I’m not entirely useless.

They don’t know that the Wolf Spirits are whispering secrets into my ear, helping me on with my career. Their knowledge base is huge and I can talk with them for hours just to learn more about things. I’m at my happiest when I’m with them and I don’t think I would be able to survive in captivity so long without their support.

Well anyway, my hearing made me hear something I didn’t want to hear this morning. Alpha Eon is going to reject my wish to leave the Island. I already knew she was going to reject it, but at least I had hope. John didn’t even tell her to not let me go. He fed her with fatherly concern instead until she finally caved in and decided that it’s for the best that I stay here with my so called family.

I don’t expect my kidnapper to let me go that willingly.

Jupiter is making me pick more seashell flowers. They are quite small and annoying to pick. I have to dig thorough the grass and carefully pluck it so it doesn’t break. It’s a good thing my fingers are thin and used to picking them.

“Why don’t you help me?” I groan because my back hurts from all the bending.

“I am helping you,” he says casually while touching the straws gently. “I tell you what to do and you do it.”

I sigh loudly and throw the basket at him. He catches it and puts it down onto the ground. He looks like health himself and it makes me even angrier. It doesn’t matter that he is a Wolf Spirit; I like to treat him as my friend. He appreciates it too, even if I bully him.

“Well I vote for collecting sunlet flowers instead,” I decide and aim for the bright yellow flowers that are much easier to find and pick.

“Fine,” he gives up and does something that surprises me enough to make me speechless. 

Jupiter never helped me before. It’s a part of our quarrelling that I beg him to assist me while he informs me that the Wolf Spirits only are here to guide us. He reaches out his pale hand towards a seashell flower and carefully picks it up and places it in the basket with the others.

“What are you doing?” I finally manage to croak at him.

“You are leaving this Island with as many seashell flowers you can bring,” he says determined. “You should stop avoiding Alpha Eon and look for someone to take you off this Island.”

“Why? What?” 

“They have nothing more to teach you, so we are letting you off the Island,” Jupiter explains to me. “With or without Alpha Eon’s permission. They will not come looking for you because of your age. John can’t force them and they won’t let him go after you.”