8. An anchor in the dark

Chapter 8

An anchor in the dark

Overwhelming.

That’s the only way to describe how I feel. I just came back to the Ninjan Pack and saw my family again. How many nights and days have I dreamt about this moment? Never once did it occur to me that it would be too much to take in.

The world is spinning around me as I’m walking further into the forest I played in as a child. The memories are rushing back to me. I fall to my knees on the mossy ground and take a deep breath. I love the smell here. It smells like home. Not the dry Island, but my real home. This is my home.

The Ninjan Wolf Spirits are surrounding me, has surrounded me since the moment I was lifted out of the helicopter. They recognize me and welcome me back like I’m their dearest friend. Their spirits are making my spirit stronger and I can literally hear everything inside the Ninjan territory.

But Jupiter left me the moment we arrived. It makes me nervous not to have him next to me, holding my hand. He is investigating this new land that will be his home from now on. I hope he does it quickly.

The nature is so beautiful here. How could I forget the warm feeling of the damp green forest? It is full of life. Insects are crawling around on and inside the dirt, animals are walking around searching for food and the smaller ones are hiding under bushes. I can see all that with my hearing. This is so much better than the city.

I’ll never forget the moment I saw my family again. I felt complete. The warm feeling of safety when my parents hugged me healed all the pain I felt during the years. No pain can reach me anymore. At least I felt like that until I took a closer look at Mary.

Mary, who is my twin soul, looked so weak and fragile. It broke my heart. Rosalea taught me how to notice illness and this illness isn’t even well hidden. How can they be so blind? Are they not aware what Mary is suffering from?

Her heart is weak, dying. It is impossible to cure. She might have a few years to live. Life feels so unfair. Did I get home just to have my sister stolen from me by death?

“Why?” I ask out loud to the Wolf Spirits.

They are mourning around me, unable to change my sister’s fate.

“Kate,” I hear Jupiter say to me.

“You’re back,” I state relieved and let my arms slide around his waist. “What do I do now? The seashells are for Mary.”

“They’ll make her feel better. How do you feel?”

“I don’t know,” I sigh. “What are they thinking of me?”

“Your mate wants to come out and look for you,” Jupiter says amused. “Princess keeps dragging him back.”

A warm fuzzy feeling fills me when I think of my mate. It is clouded by a worry why he thinks I don’t like him back. Why would I not care about him? Why would I not need him? I need emotional support after being alone for so long, how can he be so blind and not see that?

My older sister on the other hand hasn’t changed much. It’s my own way of viewing her that changed. I always looked up to Princess and in my memories she is tall strong and proud. Meeting her today made me realize that I’m not small anymore. It’s not a pleasant feeling to know that I have grown taller than her. She’s so small and sweet but blessed with a clever spirit.

It was a struggle to not fall down onto my knees when I saw her. I wanted to show my respect towards my Alpha. Her Alpha is shining through everything with its greatness and I’m left speechless at her inner power. It even clouds over the fact that she’s my sister. I always sensed that part of her. That’s why I always did what she told me. It’s much stronger now, more developed.