2. A wish during midnight

Chapter Two

A wish during midnight

Kate’s POV

The warm breeze from the ocean is messing up my mid-waist black hair, but I love to feel the curls slowly touch my skin. It’s like the Wolf Spirits are playing with it. They probably are. I turn my face against the evening sun and break out in a smile when the sunrays heat it up. 

The waves from the ocean are slowly crashing against the island’s shoreline. I’m walking bare feet along the beach and the pink starfishes are smiling back to me. The sand is so soft that I sink down a few inches when I put my foot down.

It is hot both daytime and night time here and it’s not often I feel cold. I am just wearing a thin blue sundress and the fabric is flowing behind me as I make my way forwards. I don’t have anywhere I need to be. No time to hold. He knows that I’ll be back; I have nowhere else to go.

The Island is quite small and The Rosalea Pack doesn’t have to worry about other Packs since the closest one lives several miles from here, on an even smaller island. I am actually the only person here who doesn’t belong to this Pack.

This place is paradise itself. It doesn’t matter that I have to struggle for every step I take. I can forget about my loss of energy when I’m out here by myself. I hate to see all the pity. Every wolf in Rosalea thinks that I am sick, depressed and beyond curable. I can’t blame them. 

John Moore knew what he was doing when he brought me here, to one of the most compassionate Packs in the whole world. They care so much for everyone else’s wellbeing that it hurts inside me. He told them that I became like this when my mother died. Apparently I can’t accept the fact that she died and escaped into my own fantasy world. I was only five years old, too young to understand that my reckless behaviour made everyone believe his story. He even brought pictures of a two year old girl and claimed proudly that it was me.

He forced me to dye my hair black. I can’t remember what my blonde hair looks like anymore. It’s like it belonged to someone else, to Mary and not me. Poor Mary.

I will never forget the moment John Moore ripped my sister into pieces in front of my eyes. Thankfully she didn’t die. The bond we are sharing is very strong and I can feel her life essence. To sense it slip away from her is the most horrible thing I’ve ever been through.

I kept rioting against my kidnapper for six years before I finally understood what I had to do to break free from this pack. Children who live here are allowed to leave the Island to look for their mates once they turn nineteen. I begged the Wolf Spirits to not give me a mate on this Island and they just laughed back at my worries and said my mate is already chosen.

Rosalea will never let me go if they find me mentally instable, so I tried my best to act civil. If only it was that easy. My soul is sick; I’m even too weak to shift. 

I look around worriedly just to receive assuring smiles from the Wolf Spirits. I opened up my mind completely to them when I was eleven and ever since then… they decided to show me their real selves. That never happened at home. I don’t think anyone at home have actually seen the Wolf Spirits in human shapes.

The Wolf Spirits doesn’t age. They have a bright aura around themselves and they are all so beautiful. Their power and wisdom is shining through and it’s hard not to fall to my knees when I see them. They only show themselves when no one else is around so I feel safe enough, out of reach from the Rosalea Pack.

They are my friends. Especially the white haired boy who’s strolling up to me with a grin across his face. He looks to be around twenty years old. You can say that he’s my own guardian spirit. He’s always here for me.