12. Tearful secrets

Chapter 12

Tearful secrets

I wake up alone. Not even Jupiter is in here. It would have been so nice to wake up with Adam’s arms around me like this morning. My skin is still tingling from his touch, so he can’t have been gone for long. 

I feel deserted, but I shouldn’t. I’m used to being alone. I don’t want to get used to relaying on someone else, not even my mate. No one can hurt me if I keep to myself.

I rub my eyes and my senses are slowly coming back to me, together with the noise of the whole damn pack. It rolls over me like a tide wave; all emotions, connections and conversations. The pace here is much faster than the one at Rosalea so it takes a few moments before I find my focus.

Adam is in the kitchen with Princess and Father. I can see them clearly, but they are all quiet like they are waiting for something. Probably someone. Make that someone me.

I throw my legs over the side of the bed and get into a standing position. I am hit by dizziness but hold onto the toy filled shelves before the black dots in front of my eyes disappears. I take a deep sigh with relief and start walking to the other three in the house. I let my mind search for Jupiter and find his spirit deep into the woods with the others.

“Kate!” Father exclaims and brings me into a bear hug when he sees me. “I am so happy that you are home.”

“Yes, you said that yesterday,” I answer him and pat his back awkwardly.

“We have good news for you,” Princess says with a bright smile. She is wearing the deep red Alpha uniform and it is hard to not bow down to her.

My eyes burn holes in her when I notice that Adam is resting his hand on her shoulder. That hand belongs to me and shouldn’t touch anyone but me. I feel jealous of their deep connection. They have known each other for years, how am I supposed to top that? I want to be Adams number one in everything. My deep feelings shock me a bit. I never thought I would be the possessive kind. It’s bubbling inside me and I avert my eyes for a few seconds to calm myself down.

Her Alphaness finally wins over me and I look down respectfully before putting my head on Father’s shoulder. I close my eyes and hope they will get over with the talking quickly. There are things I need to do. 

I need to prepare Mary’s medicine. I must also find someone who knows about the herbs in this area. The Wolf Spirits are calling for me from inside the woods and I don’t want to miss what’s going on between them and Jupiter. I must not forget about the part where I need to inform them about Mary and myself.

“Are you alright?” Father asks me concerned and starts massaging my temples. It feels good.

“I just,” I start nervously not really knowing what to say. “I have special needs.” Tears spring in my eyes and I bury my face deeper into my father’s shoulder. The pressure is starting to get to me. I miss my old routines. No one really expected anything from me and I liked that. Will my family be as understanding? “I am really happy to be home with you all. That nightmare is over and I never thought I actually could find a way out of it.”

I don’t want to cry and break down in front of them, but all these feelings are making me confused. If anything, they make me feel like I belong here. This is my real family. I am not anyone’s charity case and they won’t expect things from me that I can’t do. I don’t have to try so hard to fit in. I am allowed to be weak. They will take care of me. Won’t they Wolf Spirits?

I slide my arms around Father and cry out loudly. Al the anger I forced into a locked part of my brain is breaking free and I feel like hitting something. I raise my hands to tear my hair just to feel Adam’s warm hand grab them gently.