21. A Little Ninja

Chapter 21

A little Ninja

Mary’s POV

I haul my wet body through Leanne’s window, disappointed by the fact that she left it open. There goes my fun of breaking into her room! My heart suddenly aches and I fall down flat onto the hard wooden floor, surprised over the pain. Shouldn’t I be used to it acting up by now? Even more surprising; shouldn’t I be able to suppress the feeling and succeed what I was doing?

I landed on my arm and I massage it with a grimace. It’s cold from the rough rain that decided to fall down from the sky this night. Smooth, real smooth Mary! I hear a chuckle from the bed in the corner. I turn my head, annoyed by the sound of rain clattering outside.

“Are you alright?” Leanne asks and I sigh irritated over my own mistake. “I never saw you… fall before.” She fumbles after the switcher to her nightstand lamp and the room is soon flooded in dim red light.

“I had to wake you up somehow,” I answer her with a shrug and moan at my uniform that’s slicking my body in a not very comfortable way. “Lend me something.”

I get on my feet quickly and close the window. There’s already a pool of water on the wooden floor. I kick off my muddy shoes and start hauling off my clothes. At least my underwear is still dry. Leanne hands me a fresh towel and I start rubbing my hair.

“I was already awake,” she says and looks through her wardrobe for something bigger than what she usually wears. “It was hard to fall asleep after my long nap in the car.”

Her eyes lights up and she hands me a big t-shirt that reaches down to my thighs once I get it over my head. It has a silly print with a smiling flower that says “I love you”. At least it’s not tight. Leanne is wearing a silly pyjama with suns. My brother sure found himself a keeper. I hope for my friend’s sake that he finds it cute.

“I’ll just take the door next time instead.” I roll my eyes, knowing she expected my visit. Her parents are quite used to my nightly visits. She can’t disappear with Tom for more than a day and not tell me the details afterwards.

“I’ll make you some hot chocolate…”

“With whipped cream,” I finish her sentence.

“It hasn’t rained this much in months! Just think of how good this is for your gardens.”

I sigh dreamily when I think of the effects. All flowers look even more breath taking after a shower from the clouds. Leanne breaks me from my daydreaming by screaming and jumping into my arms.

“I saw something outside the window!” she says frightened.

She hides her face in my shoulder and I shrug her off me. I can’t sense anyone else around the house besides her sleeping family members. It was probably just a shadow. I look at the window anyway in a try to calm her shaking body down.

I’m greeted by a dark figure standing on the other side in the rain. Long black curls are framing the thin face and I laugh, eased over who it is. Her eyes are shining with more life than I ever saw them. She’s sparkling with energy and I wonder what made her so excited. I wouldn’t mind borrowing some of it seeing how tired I am.

“That’s Kate,” I say in a duh tone and walk back to open the window. I shudder when I put my bare foot on the wet floor and throw the towel down to let it soak up into it. “Hi Kate,” I greet my sister. “Want to join us for some hot chocolate?”

I reach out my arms and pick her feather light body over the window frame before she has a chance to answer my question and without falling over. She’s ice-cold and I feel slightly worried about this. I pick up the towel and start wiping her dry while Leanne closes the window and runs for a thick blanket. Kate’s lips are blue and she is shaking uncontrollably.