5. A promising twilight

Chapter 5

A promising twilight

I can almost smell land when I hear another engine closing in on us. I put my hand over my eyes to shield them from the strong midday sun, but I can’t see the other boat in the horizon yet.

I thought the sea would have more boats in the water, but not many have passed us.

“Why is the sea so empty?” I ask Elias who has two windows open.

“I’m avoiding the fishing areas,” he answers me calmly. “It’s a great day and most people like to sail around the small Islands close to the mainland. They have wonderful small beaches on them.”

“Like the one we stopped at last night,” I say thoughtfully to myself. 

Elias is bringing the boat forwards pretty fast and my hair and dark blue tunic is blowing in the wind. I close my eyes as the long forgotten scents from the mainland hits my nostrils. I recognise them as wildlife and nature; such as trees, deer, rabbits and freshwater.

A thrill of excitement goes through my body and I squeal at the feeling. I am finally able to grasp the fact that I’m going home. I’m so close that I can’t fail now. My dear Wolf Spirits; I owe you so much.

I get so see my sisters, brother and parents soon. My closed and hurt heart swells with happiness at the thought.

The other boat is closing in on us rapidly and it’s completely black. I can read the letters written in white on it. WSF, whatever that stands for. I hold onto the railing hard as it slows down next to our boat. Our boat is small compared to theirs. I view them interestedly and I feel Jupiter’s warm spirit embrace me protectively. 

A brown haired woman is glaring back at me, but I don’t feel intimidated by her harsh stare. She is dressed completely in black tight covering clothes and I wonder how she can still stand up in this heat. She must be boiling!

Elias stops the boat and comes out onto the deck to greet these strange black covered people. He looks his usual calm self so I guess they’re some kind of coastguards.

“Good day,” the brunette woman says in a very business-like tone. “We are the Werewolf Security Force and we are controlling the ships from illegal mainland trading.”

“Go ahead,” Elias invited them onto the boat. “We are not interested in any illegal activities, ma’am.”

“They all say that,” she mutters to herself and waves over to the three other guys on the boat. “Investigate!”

I growl lowly at her strange behaviour. I feel slightly threatened by her superiority. I just won my freedom back and I don’t want anyone to boss me around quite yet.

The three quite young men jumps onto Elias boat and dives down under deck. I hear them search the boat thoroughly while this woman is watching us with a snobby attitude. I turn my back against her stiffly. 

It’s a little bit windy and I have to brush my black hair from my face more than once. Not even the view of the ocean can calm me down. I just want these strange people off the boat so we can continue my journey home.

I hear the familiar sound of my herb bags being lifted from the kitchen floor and being brought up to deck. I’m standing defensively in front of the brown haired young man who’s holding my precious herbs.

“You let go of my seashells,” I spit at him with anger filling my body. I must protect what the Wolf Spirits told me to bring.

“Mom, this is the only illegal items we found on board,” the man says with wide eyes at my behaviour.