6. The sweetest taste

Chapter 6

The sweetest taste

I haven’t set my foot on mainland for fourteen years so I take a moment before leaving the boat. My stomach is filled with butterflies; it’s almost too far to take that small step off the boat.

It feels like the big coast city will swallow me whole. I grew up in a small village and then on an isolated Island. I can barely remember the few hours I spent in River Hill. There are so many people here, so much life and motion. My head is spinning from the activity. Even the Wolf Spirits are stressing around while minding their business.

I feel a spirit hand grab mine and calmness immediately washes over me. At least there’s one spirit with my mind set here. Jupiter tugs my hand and I follow his lead and walk off the boat, surrounded by his safe presence.

“Thank you Wolf Spirits for returning me to the mainland,” I whisper under my breath and I can feel Jupiter’s smile even if I can’t see him at the moment.

I send a quick glance at the ocean before joining the WSF crew. The waves are glistering like black velvet under the night sky and for once I don’t feel a longing surge through me while gazing out on it. I’m filled by a peaceful warm feeling instead that makes me happy, even excited. I’m home. Not exactly home yet, but at least not out there anymore.

“Kate, are you coming?” Mrs Denwood calls for me from the black SUV that will escort us to the facility.

I nod back at her and put one foot in front of the other slowly until I reach the car. It’s weird to be surrounded with technology. I guess I have to get used to all of this. I doubt the Ninjan Pack changed much so I hope I can live a peaceful life there. 

One of the men helps me into the car and we’re soon on the road. I grip my seatbelt tightly and feel how my stomach is twisting by the reckless driving. I close my eyes and pray to the Wolf Spirits to calm myself down. It’s like I’m trapped inside a tiny bug and its flying right into a bird’s mouth. It feels like we will get crushed any second. 

My legs are wobbling when we finally arrive to the facility. I throw myself out of the car and land roughly on the asphalt. I feel the skin break on my arms and knees but I don’t care. I’m shaking and I think someone is trying to talk to me but the words refuses to register in my brain. Someone lifts me up but I couldn’t care less. I’m already lost inside my own bubble.

-

I wake up on a bed in what looks like a clinic. I drag myself to sitting position with the little energy I have inside me. The wounds after the fall are all healed and my skin is whole again. I look at the doctor who seems to be writing a report on her computer. Mrs Denwood hands me a glass of water and I gulp it down quickly.

“You had a panic attack,” she explains to me. “We will avoid putting you into a car, but I really hope you will be able to cope with the helicopter tomorrow.” 

Her voice is cold, but I can sense a tiny bit of compassion in it. This woman cares about my well-being even if she doesn’t know me. The thought comforts me.

“It will be fine,” I answer her quickly, a bit shocked that I lost control like that earlier. “How long was I gone?”

“It’s only been half an hour,” the doctor says warmly, finally turning her attention over to me. “We should run a few tests while you’re here if that is alright with you?”