16. Don't be worried

Chapter 16

Don't be worried

Kate’s POV

*

The negative part of having a public execution is the ambush of wolves that comes to our territory just to watch the bloodbath like it’s some kind of movie event. They don’t look at it with a realistic view, for them it is just a few minutes of entertainment that they’ll never be able to understand. That’s why it is the Ninjans job to hold them. We know what it means to end a life. We respect life and death as they go hand in hand.

It would have been more humane to not keep it public. A wolf dies happily if it is during a fight. John Moore did some terrible things against my sisters, but it’s hard for me to even see him tied up, waiting to be put into rest by the hand of his own Alpha. Even those with a death penalty on their heads should be given a choice to defend themselves.

The arena is slowly filling up and I walk around with a stern look on my face to make sure that all visitors behave. The sight of women, men and even children of all ages become a blur of colours as they sit down onto the seats made of stone.

It’s weird to see people who doesn’t use Ninjan uniforms. This area is usually filled by students and teachers around this time of the day. They are all patrolling and guarding the area. I feel a sting of pride as the visitors look at our village with big curious eyes. Not that they dare to look any of us Ninjans in the eye. I will still be glad when this all is over and everything goes back to normal.

Princess seems to be the only sister who will be here for the execution. Mary, Kate and Leanne said they would patrol the outer regions of our territory. They just left five minutes ago. I still can’t get the look of Kate’s face off my mind. It was like she was mocking the whole idea of patrolling. She left with the comment “I’ll know if anything goes wrong anyway”.

I like having her back, but she’s more than confusing at times. It makes me sad to think about how different her life has made her from the rest of the family. I hope that she will be able to find some of her old spark with time.

Anyway, I’m happy my sisters will look after my girl, since she hates violence of all kinds. I’m quite in the dark when it comes to Leanne.  I don’t know what to do with our situation since it feels wrong to keep her in the Ninjan Pack when she doesn’t support what we are standing for. I have given her time to figure things out and she seems to be content about living here despite her feelings.

Fine, I can agree that she makes me nervous. My hands start sweating when I’m around her and I barely find my words and stumble like an idiot. She just needs to gaze at me with her fantastic black eyes to make my world shake. She deserves all romantic actions in the world, but truth be told, I’m not very romantic!

I usually go hunting for food, but to kill animals is a poor replacement for killing another wolf. At least Leanne isn’t a vegetarian and I can bring her family the finest meat after a hunt.

I love everything Ninjan stands for. I love violence, death and the thrill of a fight. That’s why I always guard the prisoners that are taken here for execution. I send them off respectfully. No prisoner will ever be treated badly by us. They have already been given a punishment and that is death. They shouldn’t have to suffer more than that.

The chatters from the crowd are deafening and I ignore the need to cover my ears. Their excitement is lingering in the air and I wonder again if they understand what an execution is. It’s the cruel side of life and I hope most of them will go home with regret of coming here. It takes a tough heart to handle what we go through daily in this pack.