Chapter 5

-Harry-
••July 25, 2010•• 

The phone rang loudly, echoing in the small hotel room.  Zayn, Louis, and I jumped up in surprise from our game of Go Fish, looking up at the phone (which I didn’t know existed till now) that was making the huge racket.  Louis dramatically threw his hand of cards in the air and made a loud screeching noise, making Zayn and me both cover our ears in pain.

“Bloody hell, Louis,” Zayn said, sitting down again and rolling his eyes at the childlike behavior from the oldest boy in our newly formed band.

“Is anyone going to pick up the phone?” I asked, staring persuasively at Zayn as the stupid thing rang again, nearly shattering my eardrums.

He chuckled, whipping his phone out of his back pocket.  “Answer the phone, Haz. You have two legs that aren’t broken.”  Zayn intensely gazed down at his phone, typing like a maniac.

I let out a frustrated groan as I set down my hand of cards and shuffled my way towards the phone that sat on the desk in the corner of our hotel room.  I answered the call, clicking the answer button and shoving the phone between my ear and shoulder so I could pick my hand of cards back up.

“Helloooo?” I asked, glaring at Zayn.

“Ahh. Niall’s co-singer person, eh?  This is Elizabeth, darling," a female voice said in a weird accent. I didn’t even know where it was from; it sounded like a bit of French, Irish and British, all mixed together.

"Wanna talk to Niall?" I asked, looking down at the cards in my hand and plotting a way to win.  Louis usually was the winner whenever we played Go Fish, but I was determined not to let him beat me this time…

"No!" she squealed before returning to her regular tone. "What is your name, honey?"

"Harry." I said, sticking out my tongue at Louis.  I hoped this weird call from this Elizabeth lady would end soon so I could get back to my card game.  How did she even find our hotel room phone number, anyway?

"I need to talk to you, but is Niall there?" Elizabeth asked, her voice like a whisper.

"You got a five, Harreh'?" Louis asked loudly, in a completely opposite tone from Elizabeth's. I put my finger to my lips, indicating for him to be quiet.

"No- he's not here." I said into the phone, then checked my hand of cards and mouthed to Louis, 'Go Fish'.

"Good." Elizabeth replied, pausing for a few seconds before continuing, "Harry, darling, I'm Faith's mother."

My eyes immediately widened as I set down all my cards.  Louis opened his mouth, but I shushed him again.

"I didn't realise. Hi. I've heard many great things about your daughter," I said as politely as I could. Hearing Niall's constant crying, rants and talks about Faith everyday, I better know thingsabout the girl Niall had loved and lost.

"Ah. I see," the woman said, without any sign of emotion.

I was silent, waiting for her to proceed.  Louis was looking at me intently, but Zayn was still on his phone.

"Promise me, for Niall's well-being, you won't tell him that Faith is still alive," Elizabeth said, her tone not changing.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed, making Zayn immediately look up from his phone, furrowing his eyebrows at me for my poor word selection.

"Zayn!" I choked out. "Faith. She's alive!"

"What the hell?!" He set his cell phone down and speed walked over to me, clicking the speakerphone button on the phone.  Louis walked over as well; from the look on his face, he was lost for words.