Chapter 19

- Zayn -

••January 31, 2013••

I pulled Niall to the back of the house, which just happened to be the kitchen. Keep him occupied, I thought. This was an easy task, considering this was Niall and we were in a kitchen. Maybe a bit harder now that he knew stupid Mrs. Gray was here, but it was for the best. Maybe I could convince him that it was the postal lady?

"Zayn?" Niall asked, waiting for an explanation as I shut the kitchen door. I stood by it for a second, making sure I couldn't hear any of the conversation happening out in the living room, if there was any.

"Niall, will you explain to me what kind of..." My eyes darted around the kitchen, looking for something to talk about. "...cereal this is?" I finished, trying not to look that suspicious.

"Cheerios?" He looked at me as if I was an idiot. He put both his hands on his hips and rolled his eyes. "Zayn, what's wrong?"

I tried not to look nervous but failed greatly. All I could do was act like I didn't know anything, but the situation was way past that. I sighed as if I was giving in.

"Go on," he prodded. I smiled. Just tell him another lie Zayn. I mean, it wasn't gonna hurt him more than what was going on now, was it?

"So like basically-" Think Zayn. Think. This was so much harder than I thought. I definitely couldn't be a comedian. I was so slow at thinking things up. Maybe I could tell him that I was just really hungry. No – that wouldn't work. I wished I could tell him that I was doing this for him. Faith was ruining his life and tearing 1D apart. Slowly but surely, I was positive it would break us up. Or at least that's what Mrs. Gray told me.

Niall started walking to the door, pushing his way past me. "Hurry up, I need to-"

I stopped him, grabbing his arm.

"Faith is bad for you." I couldn't lie to my little leprechaun. It was impossible. I would feel like puking if I kept lying to him.

"I don't give a shit about what you think about Faith and I! She is and always has been my best friend. She's the reason I'm a part of one direction. She's the reason I auditioned for X-Factor, Zayn! Without her I wouldn't know you!"

I was completely baffled. Niall barely ever talked or shared his opinion but he was so determined. I couldn't help but step back, letting him out of the door.

I didn't care about what Mrs.Gray and I promised anymore. This was more important to Niall than I thought. I just had to hear it from him.

- Mrs. Gray -

••January 31, 2013••

I walked into the shabby living room, and to my delight, my daughter was sitting there on the sofa. She looked unharmed, but who knew what all this running around did to her!

"Faith, honey, I am so glad you're alright!" I cried, running to her side and grabbing her hands. I pulled her off of the couch. "We have to leave!" I expected a little protest, maybe a little tugging, but she stood up and followed me, completely silent. I gave a little sigh of relief. Perhaps this would be easy after all.

"Stop!" I heard a low posh voice call. I frowned and turned to face where the voice came from.

The curly haired one stood behind us. Harry Styles, was it? God, these ridiculous One Direction boys were always getting in the way. Did they not understand what was happening? Where was Zayn?

"Stop," he repeated. I arched an eyebrow, watching him fix his hair. They were all so obsessed with their pop idol image. It was disgusting.

"You can't take her. She means a lot to Niall and you can't-," he started. I sniffed in contempt and prepared to launch into one of my crippling speeches, the ones I'd been using to doctors, socialites, and teachers for years now. But, to my surprise, Faith replied for me.