Chapter 18

- Harry -

••January 31, 2013••

I quickly made my way back out of the house, tripping on little things I hadn't even noticed were there till now.  Oh god.  Why was she here?!  I thought she declined my offer to visit.  How awkward was that for me to hug Faith in front of her?

I let out a frustrated sigh as I approached the car that was parked on the back street, which seemed to always be completely empty.  I opened the trunk, grabbing the groceries as slowly as possible.  I didn't want to go back into the house.  Imagine how awkward it would be to face Aria again.  And was that Max?  Holy crap, he grew.  The anger built inside me as soon as I thought of Max and what had happened.  I couldn't take it.

I looked up at the second floor of Gemma's house, letting my mind wander into the past.  The times I wished so hard I could go back to.  But I couldn't.  I should have just told her that day... The day I lost my best friend...

"I'm so happy to have my three favorite people with me for my sixteenth birthday!" Aria swung her arms around Jake's and my shoulder with a huge smile plastered on her face.  "My last birthday in England."

"We'll miss you, A," Jake grinned.

"Yeah, all of us," I added, glaring a little at Jake.  That was supposed to be my line.  This was Aria's sixteenth birthday party, but also a going-away party.  Tomorrow, she was leaving for Los Angeles with her family.  I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could.

Gemma watched over us from the seat in the corner of the room and laughed.  Gemma was so happy to see Aria after such a long time.  Even if they were years apart, Gemma and Aria were as close as two friends could be.  It was odd because I would get jealous of how close they were sometimes.  Silly, I know.

"I don't think my birthday could get any better!" she exclaimed as she turned to me, smiling.  Tears formed in her eyes from happiness as she bit her lower lip.  She looked up at Jake who pressed his lips to hers making the moment completely deflate with awkwardness, at least for me. 

I turned to look over at Gemma, who smiled at the two.  I knew she was proud.  She always was of Jake and Aria...  If only she knew.  I wanted to tell her.  I wanted to tell Aria too but I couldn't.  It was her birthday and it would crush her.  Then again, no matter what day it was, it would ruin her.

Aria's squeaky, cheerful voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Styles!"

I quickly glanced over at her realizing, Jake and Gemma were out of the room.

"You okay?" she asked. "You've acted so distant recently, Harold. You know I love you, right?"

She walked up to me, wrapping her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly.

"It's just Jake–," I started, but she immediately cut me off.

"I know you don't like Jake, Harry.  I get it.  But I'm not the same little girl like before." She pulled away.  "I can take care of myself.  I promise.  You don't need to baby me anymore."

"It's not that!  I just need to tell you something," I said.

"What is it?  But I don't want to hear anything negative about Jake because I know how much you hate him, but I love him," she warned defensively, folding her arms.  I looked at her with disbelief.  Why couldn't she just see how wrong he was for her?!  She deserved someone so much better.  He was so low.  The things he's said to me earlier weren't even funny.