Chapter 12

"Down... down" Evie points to the concrete and I nod setting her down. She stables herself and I help her over to the inside so she was farthest from the road.

"Do you know where we're going?" I ask and she stumbles forward. "Do you remember where I took you last week?" I ask and the girl turns and looks at me clapping. "Yeah we're going back to brother's work" I explain and she giggles as the building comes into view.

I had my wallet in my pocket just in case. Today was my free meal and I was using it on Evie. Her waddle turns into a clumsy run as she puts her hands forward. "Careful" I chuckle and a minute later the exhausted girl is holding my leg.

I lift her before walking in. I knew they weren't going to seat me, like last time, so I just sat down at a booth putting my sister on the inside of me to hide her.

Placing my wallet next to her, I grabbed my phone opening my messages with Ty. 'I'm here if you would like to force somebody to come and serve me please :)' of course he was on his phone during work so he answered almost immediately.

'Got it, I'll send Molly she's quiet pry won't bug you' he responds and I let out a breath of relief, I'll thank him later, in person. "Look!" Evie whispers and points as Molly stands over the table.

Notepad up. "Drinks" short and sweet love it. "Just a milk in a to-go cup, and a water, I'm using my free meal" I explain and she doesn't bother writing it down before turning and leaving. "So what are we having for lunch" I hold up the menu hiding behind it as a joke. 

I get a giggle and set the menu down. "So lunch. What are we getting?" I ask completely turning to her. "Tendahs!" She squeals and I put a finger to my mouth to quiet her.

"Tenders?" I ask and she nods leaning against the tabletop. "Here" the drinks are set onto the table and I go to hand Evelyn hers, but decide to wait not wanting her to spill it all over herself. That would be a long walk home.

"Food?" The girl continues and I was starting to get tired of these one-worded conversations. "Regular, chicken tender meal... from the adult menu" I clarify so they don't try to cheap out on me again.

"Two sides?" She asked and I pursed my lips. "French fries and salad, ranch for the dressing" I order and she actually wrote it down. Molly turns with a sigh but immediately turns back to me.

"You know we don't want you here" and she ruined the peacefulness.  "I know" I answered but she stayed as if waiting for me to continue. "I'm
not leaving" I sing and she nods hugging the notebook. "O-ok" she stutters surprised by my bluntness and then walks away.

I grab the styrofoam cup full of milk and hand it to the toddler. "Be careful, don't spill it" I chuckle. She takes it with both hands and immediately hands it back. "I sit" she gurgles and does just that.

I hand her the milk again and she slowly puts it between her legs leaning over the straw to get a drink. "Mmm Yume" she hums to her, taking another drink.

I laugh quietly taking a drink of my water. I look over to Evie who was savoring her drink. Milk was saved for cereal or meals. I hated being that strict, but money was tight. She had a cute little outfit on, one that Lily had picked out.

We tried to stay cheaper knowing she was only going to grow. I took another drink of my water before just watching the ice float around. I flinch back as the tray of food was dropped on the table.

"Eat and leave... fast- you're making people uncomfortable" she grumbled. "I'm going to need a box" she practically runs away after I'm done. I roll my eyes and line all three things up. Leftovers were always welcomed.

"Let's eat some salad first" I suggest and she stares hungrily at the chicken pointing to it with a whine. "Just a little bit of salad first, I need to actually feed you somewhat good" I huff poking her stomach.

"Grabby?" She asks and I look at her confuse. "Do you want me to grab you?" I ask and she shakes her head, lifting and giving me her milk. "Oh yup" I set the milk on the table and she stands grabbing at the lettuce with her hand.

I grab the ranch and hide it behind the basket of chicken hoping she'll eat the salad without it. Evelyn pretty much does staring at the tomatoes before looking at me. "E it?" She asks and I nod. "Yup you can eat that" I assure her and she stares at it with wide eyes before eating it.

"Like it! Like it!" She cheers going on her toes to peek into the dish. She picks all the tomatoes out popping them in her mouth. "Slow down Evelyn, don't need you choking" I rub her back.

She looks at me with the last tomato in her hand. Opening her mouth she slowly brings the tomato to her mouth, closing it just as slow. She goes back to the salad and pouts when she sees the tomatoes are gone.

I wasn't going to force her into anything so as soon as she was ready to move on she could. She went back to eating the greens piece by piece and I picked up a fry staring at it for a second. Putting the fry in my mouth I quickly cover it with my hand.

Making sure nobody could see. The box is thrown on our table as she passes by and that's when Evie moved on. "I eat dis" she whispers pointing to the chicken.

I nod moving to the chicken strip breaking it in half. I give her one side and hold the other. "Can you blow on it?" I ask blowing on my own side. She nods blowing over it. It was more like spitting on it but it seemed to work because when she took a bite it didn't burn her and she chews happily.

There was no salad left really, so I just turned away from everyone and ate it. I put the fries all into the box and then took a drink of my water. Evie was still gnawing at her chicken strip and I sat my elbow on the table placing my head in my hand.

She's so cute. I throw the strips into the box as well setting the other half in front of her. Her eyes go wide and she shoved the last bit of the first one in her mouth, chewing hungrily.

"Mouth closed" I point to my mouth and pretend to chew. She puts her hands over her mouth and continues to chew. I hand her the new piece only when she's done and she shakes her head sitting down. "Mek melk" she blabbers and I turn to hand her the milk.

Evelyn takes a big drink and giggles reaching for the chicken again. I give it to her and just continue to watch. I really hope she doesn't go to the bathroom I didn't bring anything. I really suck at this sort of stuff.

I looked to the counter and all the not very enthusiastic adults. You could tell they actually enjoyed having conversations with the people they liked though.

The way their posture and facial expressions changed was so easy to see. I've grown to love watching tourists come in. My fellow workers turn into the nicest people in the world.

It takes everything I can to stop myself from just outing everyone here to them. They aren't nice people they're judgemental pricks, who hate when things aren't perfect. They want your money. This homey aesthetic appeasing town ain't as nice as you all think.

I stop my grumbling and look back at my sister who was just finishing her chicken. Closing the box in front of me, I stand making sure I had my wallet and phone in my pockets.

"Go?" Evie asked and I nod. The baby stands with the help of the tabletop and waddles to me I stretch my arm out and bring the girl to my hip. She yawns laying her head on my chest as I balance the extra food in one hand holding it to my stomach.

I could feel all the stares and hurried out of the restaurant using my back to open the door. As soon as we're out I take a deep nose breath. "Did you have fun today?" I ask and the baby takes her head out to my chest to look at me with her big brown eyes. She immediately goes back to sleep and I sigh.

"This is going to be a long walk"